Chapter 42

During the next couple of days, I felt like if we were jumpy. We kept looking over our shoulders and kept avoiding the building.

"I swear if we go back in there and face whatever that was. I quit." Ezra exclaimed, shaking his head. "I think I need therapy. I keep dreaming about it."

"Me too." Thomas and I answered.

The third Trial was set to start in three days, and so the second one could start any day. I spend a couple of hours with Taron and then I made my way to my room.

"Iris?" I heard Ezra calling for me.

"Iris" I heard Thomas yelling at me. I turned around. There was nobody in the empty hallway.

"Guys" I called back. There was a loud crash behind me, and I ran towards it. A piece of armory had fallen from the wall. The door was wide open. I lifted my hands up to start a fire but I couldn't.

The Second Trial had started. I ran out the door. Ezra and Thomas were running out of separate doors.

"I heard you guys yelling" I ran towards them. We were standing in the empty field.

"I heard you yelling" Ezra replied, trying to catch his breath. Thomas took a deep breath.

"Did you hear that?" Ezra's head snapped in a different direction. He was looking at the forest.

"No, what are you?"

"Mom?" Ezra stepped forward. There was fear on his face.

"Ezra there is nothing there" Thomas grabbed his arm. Ezra shook him off. He ran across the field.

"No, it's a trick. Ezra there is nobody there." Thomas and I ran after him.

"Iris" I heard my grandmother scream. "Grandma" I called. I heard loud screaming and I ran faster. "Grandma, is that you?" I heard her screams and I headed towards the back of the school.

There were loud screaming coming from the broken down building. At the door were three weapons. A sword, bow, and daggers.

The screaming stopped. We approached the weapons and picked up our favorite.

I smiled at the boys. Even though we were scared out of our minds, they were with me. We were with each other and that was reassuring.

I stepped behind Thomas who was behind Ezra. As soon as we stepped inside the dark room, the door closed behind us. There was movement, but I couldn't see anything.

I put my hand on Thomas back so I wouldn't lose him. The lights flickered on.

We were standing in the middle of a glass room. There was a sound of clapping.

"Welcome" Charles clapped. We stood, stunned.

"What are you doing here?" Ezra snarled before I could react to him. He wasn't supposed to be on campus. I looked around. There didn't seem to be a door in the glass room.

"Surprised." his eyes gleamed at us. He was twirling a blade in his hand. "Didn't expect to see me?" he tilted his head at us. I lifted my sword.

"You are not supposed to be anywhere near the grounds, Charles" I replied through gritted teeth.

Charles slowly smiled at us. His eyes started to gleam. It wasn't him.

"It is another Trial." Thomas whispered next to us. We stepped backwards but the illusion-Charles lifted his hand.