Chapter Eight

Five continued to tell her about the apocalypse with me butting in every now in then. We left out the part about us being married and the baby though.

"You got anything stronger?" I ask. Vanya gets up to get something, a frightened look in her eyes.

"You think we're crazy." Five scoffs.

"No, I... it's just, it's a lot to take in." She stammers.

"Exactly what don't you understand?" I ask.

"Why didn't you just time travel back?" She asks.

Five scoffed, "Gee, I wish I'd thought of that. Time travel is a crapshoot. We went into the ice and never acorn-ed. You think we didn't try everything to get back to our family?"

"If you grew old in the apocalypse, then, why do you guys still look like kids?"

I rolled my eyes, "We told you. Five got the equations wrong." I say pointedly at him.

"I mean, Dad always said that time travel could mess up your mind." Vanya suggested, "Maybe that's what's happening?"

Five scoffed at Vanya, "This was a mistake, your too young... too naive to understand." Five grabbed my hand.

"No. Five, Y/n... Wait. I haven't seen you in a long time and I don't want to lose you again." Vanya said, "That's all. And you know what? It's getting late, and... I have lessons early, and I need sleep, and I'm sure you two do as well."

"Here, I only have one couch, but-" I cut her off.

"We'll stay. I'm pretty tired anyway." I look at Five with puppy eyes I know he can't resist.

"Fine." He scowls.

I almost give him a kiss on the cheek but remember Vanya is still here, so I restrain myself.

"We'll talk in the morning. Okay? I promise. G'night." And she left the room.

We lay down on the couch and I give Five a kiss goodnight. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

"Y/n. Y/n!" I open my eyes and see Five shaking me.

"What?" I groan. Rubbing my eyes.

"Come on, we're leaving."

"Fine." I groan again as he blinks us away.

–Time Skip–

As we stand in the lobby of Meritech, I see Five fidgeting with the eye, then a man in a white lab coat comes up to us.

"Uh... Can I help you?" He asks.

"I need to know who this belongs to." Five holds up the eye with a serious face.

"Where did you get that?"

"What do you care?" I snap back, I was just sleep deprived.

"We found it, at a playground actually...." Five tells him, "Must've just," he clicks his tongue.

"Popped out." I finish.

"We want to return it to its rightful owner." Five says.

"Oh.. what thoughtful young kids." The receptionist says, smiling.

"Ya, look up the name for me, will ya?" I simile back and Five smirks.

"Uhm, I'm sorry, but patient records are strictly confidential," the man says, "that means I can't tell you-"

"Ya, we know what it means." Five crossed his arms.

"But, I will tell you what I can do. I will take that eye off your hands and return it to the owner, I'm sure he or she will be very grateful, so if I can just-" He tries to grab the eye out of Five's hand.

I grab his wrist, "Yeah, you're not touching this eye."

He turns to me, "Now, you listen here young lady-"

Five grabs his shirt and gets in his face, "No! You listen to me, asshole. You don't talk to her that way. We've come a long way for this. Through some shit, your pea brain couldn't even comprehend. So, just give us the information we need, and we'll be on our merry way. And if you call her 'young lady' one more time I'm going to put your head through that dam wall!" Talk about a protective husband.

"Call security." The man tells the receptionist. I smirk and throw a knife at the cable.

Five scowls and lets go of the man. He grabs my hand and we leave.