Chapter Twenty-Five

All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it." He got up and went to the door.

I was close enough to hear Five talking to someone.

"Hey, old-timer." It sounded like... Hazel.

"Are you here to kill us? If not would you like a margarita?" Five asked.

I heard no response but Five, regardless said, "Come on."

He came around the corner with Hazel behind him, a gun in Hazel's hand.

"Hey, Hazel." I took a sip of my drink while glaring at the gun in his hand.

"Oh," Hazel looked at the raised gun in his hand, "Sorry. Old habits." He put the gun away.

Five sat down next to me and slurped his drink.

"Well, I can understand why you might feel that way..." Hazel started.

Five interrupted him, "Well, you attacked our house, tried to kill my family, kidnapped my brother, and threatened my wife and me."

Hazel tried to defend himself, "I'm not the only killer in this room. You two got your own bloody history. By the way, that job in Calhoun. Shits legendary. Can't believe I'm sitting here talking to you..."

"Why are you here Hazel?" I interrupt his fangirling moment.

"Well, I'm-" Hazel was cut off when Diego, out of nowhere jumped onto him.

I turned to see Five groans in annoyance and turn to Delores, who I just noticed was next to him.

"Diego, stop," I called.

He did not stop.

Diego kicked Hazel, "Get up!"

"Y'know, before you kill him, you might want to hear what he has to say." Five tried.

Diego ignored us again.

"Or don't. See how that goes." Five mumbled and I snickered under my breath.

Diego continued to beat up Hazel. Hazel kept looking at Five and me like we were gonna help.

Something flashed in Diego's hand and I realized it was a knife, "I'm gonna kill you for what you did to Patch."

Diego swiped at Hazel who dodged.

"Are go gonna-" Hazel's plea was cut short by a scream as Diego stabbed his knife into Hazel's thigh.

I sucked in a breath, "That's gotta hurt."

Hazel got up, punched Diego's head, and pulled the knife out of his leg.

"Diego you might want to stop-" I suggested.

"Not until I've avenged Patch, and all the others he's killed."

I sigh, they were literal children.

Five and I continued to watch them fight.

Crunch. I gagged as Diego bit Hazel's ear.

Five spatial jumped at slammed a vase onto Diego's head, "I draw the line a biting."

Five came back to sit down next to me, "Hazel, whatever you came to say, I suggest you make it quick. Before he comes around." Five gestured to Diego who was lying on the ground, butt in the air which I found hilarious.

I took a mental image that I would show everyone later with my powers.

I snickered under my breath and turned back to my husband and Hazel.

"I left my partner. I quit the commission, came to volunteer." Hazel stood proudly.

"For what?" Five questioned like an idiot.

"To help stop the apocalypse."

Five and I chuckled.

"What? What on earth could be so funny to you right now?" Hazel questioned.

"Before we answer that, why do you want to help us?" I leaned forward.

"Let's just say I have a vested interest in a donut shop," Hazel announced.

"Oh?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well pal, I hate to break it to you. But you're a day late and a dollar short." Five sat up.

"The fact that you're here seems, without a doubt, that the apocalypse is over." I finished, smiling.

"Really? How do you know that?" Hazel sounded suspicious.

"The mark is dead. Found him this morning." Five explained.

"You were the last unknown in the equation," I told him.

Hazel smiled, "Really?"

Five and I nodded.

He laughed and joined Five and me at the bar. He grabbed the blender Five had the margarita in and chugged it down.

"So, what now?" Hazel set down the blender.

"To be completely honest," Five sets down his drink, "We've been chasing this thing for so long. I guess we never thought about the day after."

"What about you?" Five looked at Hazel.

Hazel smiled again, "I'm done with all this madness. Time to start over. You two should do the same."

"Easier said than done." Five and I said at the same time.

We looked at each other, "Jinx!" I called first.

He groaned and looked at me with puppy eyes.

"Nope." I turned back to Hazel who was looking at us confused, but shook it off.

"It doesn't have to be hard," Hazel started, "I mean, if you never time traveled, never got caught up with the Handler. What would have happened?"

"I guess we would have grown up to be emotionally stunted children like everyone else here." I looked out at my house.

Five snorted.

"Well there you go, now you can grow up." Hazel got up.

"Good that." I nodded.

Before he left, I asked him about Diego's friend Patch. It turns out that Cha Cha shot her, but luckily Hazel had both guns. He gave them to me and left.

I heard a groan and turned to see Diego slowly getting up, "Where'd he go?"

"We let him go, Diego," I told him.

"You what?" Diego looked mad.

"The apocalypse is over. It's time to stop the fighting." I told him.

Diego shook his head and turned to Five.

"He can't talk. I jinxed him." I told Diego.

Diego rolled his eyes and grabbed his bag.

"He didn't kill Patch," I explained, "His partner Cha Cha did."

"So what? They were both there that night." Diego growled.

We continued arguing. I told him about how Hazel had given us both guns and the ballistics would match the crime scene.

Diego still was insistent on killing them both. So stubborn.

He started to walk away.

"Your girlfriend, Patch," I called and he turned to look at me, "What'd you like about her?"

Diego was quick to respond, "A lot of things. Cute butt, nice legs."

I rolled my eyes, "Anything more profound?"

"She always saw the good in people. No matter what crap and filth she saw on the streets." Diego smiled.

"So I'm sure she'll be happy knowing that you honored her memory by killing Hazel and Cha Cha."

Diego looked down in guilt and walked away.