Chapter Twenty-Two

I sat at Five's side, holding his hand. Grace had said he was stable and would survive much to my relief.

"Knock knock." I turn around to see Allison in the doorway.

"Hey." I smile weekly, tears still on my cheeks.

"How you doin'?" She sits next to me and pulls me into a hug.

"I just can't lose him," I whisper. Glad that Allison was here.

"I know." She strokes my hair.

"Listen," she looks at me, "Diego and I are going to try to find Jenkins, there was another address in his file, his grandmother's house. So we're going to go there. I just wanted to let you know so you don't pani-"

I cut her off, "I'm coming."

She looks shocked, "No, you have to stay here. Plus Five would kill me if anything were to happen to you."

I look at her with a death glare, "I'm. Coming."

"Fine. Let's go." She stands up with me and we walk to the car where Diego is waiting.

"Hold up now. She is not coming." Diego points at me.

"Yes. I. Am." I give him a death glare too.

His face changes to fear and nods before getting in the back. Allison drives while I ride shotgun.

We were only driving for a few minutes before we hear police sirens.

Apparently, the police thought Diego murdered someone. Surprise. Surprise.

He eventually leaves and Allison and I are on our way again.

I fall asleep as the drive was so long and I had not slept in... Well, a while.

Flashback

"Come on Number Eight!"

I glance at my Dad, tears streaming down my face, "NO! I won't!"

"Very well then." He pulls a lever and electrocutes me again, not a single drop of emotion on his face.

Pain. That's all I feel. Pain. Until, I couldn't stand it anymore, "Fine!"

He shuts it off.

I turn towards the baby boy that my father had stolen from an orphanage.

He couldn't have been older than three.

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

I focus all my power on the little baby boy, and I imagine one thing. A bear.

I open my eyes, and before me is a full-grown black bear.

I focus again and imagine a person, a woman at that, with long black flowing hair and eyes the color of chocolate.

I open my eyes, and once again, my powers work.

"Very good Number Eight." I glare at my father and turn the woman back into the baby boy.

"C-can I leave n-now?" I ask shakily.

Dad glances at me, "No."

"Please!" I cry.

He pulls the lever again and electricity fills my body.

"Try an inanimate object."

I shudder and turn back to the poor baby boy.