Midnight

Warning: this and the following chapters contain scenes of violence

Taylor looked around her hospital room to see if she had forgotten anything for the hundredth time. She hadn't.

Outside the door stood the huge figure of a man in a suit. It was the bodyguard Joe had hired, as promised, and who had been inseparable from Taylor for the past week and a half.

Even though her ribs hadn't fully healed yet, neither Taylor nor the doctors saw any reason to stay in the hospital any longer, so she was allowed to go home.

Of course, going back to work was out of the question, but who could stop Taylor if she wanted to? That's right-no one.

"So, are you ready?" Joe asked, stepping into the room.

"You're wasting your time just to get me home"

"My workers can survive two hours of my absence I believe"

"I can call a cab and drive myself."

"Yeah, you already called a limo, that's enough. At least get to the apartment alive and unharmed,cause it didn't work like that last time" replied Joe with undisguised irony in his voice

"You know I'm not going to stay at home either" 

"I never doubted you" sighed Joe

"I truly appreciate your efforts and concern but stop acting like I'm a child Joe, I'm a fucking grown woman" snapped Taylor

"I just want to help!"

Taylor didn't respond. On the one hand she was enjoying the way Joe cared, but on the other hand his concern was starting to escalate into hyper and paranoia on his part, which annoyed her.

He didn't realize that if the criminas really wanted to kill Taylor again, the bully bodyguard assigned to her wouldn't stop them.

"Taylor," Joe touched her arm from behind, "I'm not trying to take away your independence or anything. I just want to keep you safe since you don't seem to understand the seriousness of the situation."

"I asked you not to treat me like a child and you did just the opposite. Like you always do. Thanks Joe!"

The atmosphere in the room tensed. Not long ago all was well and in the hospital bed these two shared sweet kisses but now there was a little fight between them again.

"Well I'm sorry for trying to make things better."

"Trying to do things your way. That's probably why you're still not my boyfriend" Taylor said and stopped.

Her words had hit the spot, and though Joe tried not to show it, he was visibly sadder and darker than a cloud, and there was resentment in his eyes.

"Whatever you say," he said, in a barely shaky, dead robot voice, "then get home like you want, and if you'll get killed I won't be attending your funeral.

"Just fine, go ahead."

Without even bothering to say anything else, the man turned and walked quickly out, leaving Taylor alone.

Of course in a few minutes the woman regretted both her decision and her words, but it was impossible to turn time back. She had once again hurt someone who least deserved it. When would she grow up?

A nasty, acrid feeling began to grow in Taylor's middle, so she quickly got up and left the room. Her guard followed like a shadow.

"Can we move, Mrs.?" He asked.

"Can't you see?" Taylor snapped and at him.

"Sorry, no more questions," the man took Taylor's two bags and headed for the exit.