An unusual Christmas

Taylor was busy when someone rang her apartment doorbell. She was surprised as she wasn't expecting anyone, and who in their right mind would show up two days before Christmas? But when she opened the door, she saw a smiling Joe on the doorstep who didn't seem to care about anything at all.

"Joe? Is something wrong?"

He stepped closer to her and noticed that Taylor had suitcases next to her while she ironed her own shorts.

"Hi. No, I'm fine" he answered.

"Okay, I'm glad. But then why are you here?"

Joe took her hand and Taylor touched his cheek and then kissed him. The woman pulled away from him and asked:

"The question is still the same"

"I got a follow-up question: Where are you going?" Joe pointed to her things and her suitcases.

"Well, it's Christmas the day after tomorrow"

"Yeah, and you're going somewhere. What's going on?"  Joe asked.

Taylor folded her shorts neatly into her suitcase and sat down on the couch. Joe sat down next to her.

"Jenny and I are going to Maldives"

"Maldives?Wait, why? You didn't tell me" Joe frowned, not sure what was going on.

"It's our Christmas tradition, so to speak"

"to go to Maldives?Taylor, are you sure you know what Christmas means? Cause I don't think so"

Taylor laughed and ran her hand over Joe's shoulder.

"Yeah, we're spending Christmas vacation in the islands. I know it's weird, but that's what we do"

"What about dumb sweaters and presents? "

"We don't have anyone to celebrate with, so... We used to celebrate with Tom and his family, but then the divorce happened. Jenny and I spent one Christmas in an empty apartment, even though it was beautifully decorated. We exchanged gifts and realized we didn't like that kind of holiday at all. So now we fly off to some warm islands and celebrate Christmas in the warm ocean with a cocktail in hand"

Taylor got up from the couch and continued packing. This time she was packing her bikini suitcase. Joe watched it pondering what he had heard. Suddenly he said:

"Taylor do you want to spend Christmas with me? I mean, with my family"

Taylor looked at Joe in shock

"With your family? Joe, thanks, but no. I know you don't think we're celebrating in a right way, but we're fine"

"No Taylor, I'm serious. Celebrate Christmas with our family. Jenny and Michael are friends,I think they'll be fine.My parents will be happy to have new company"

Taylor shook her head.

"Joe this isn't right. This is your family, and we're going to chip in and get in the way"

Joe walked over to Taylor so that he could look her straight in the eye.

"You're not going to get in the way"

"What are you even thinking about?We're strangers you're dragging to your parents' house, I know you want the best, but no"

"You're not a stranger to me. And Jenny's not a stranger to me or Michael. I really want to spend Christmas with you"

Taylor bit her lip, pondering his words. She looked at Joe, who looked at her with pleading eyes.

"Joe,I don't think that's a good idea" Taylor said