The Parting of the Ways

"We've got incoming!" Jack warns as he's watching the scanner.

I pull down a lever just before the missiles hit.

"The extrapolator's working!" Jack cheers. "We've got a fully functional forcefield. Try saying that when you're drunk."

"And for my next trick." Dad pulls another lever, materialising us inside the Dalek ship but a Dalek appears inside the Tardis.

"Angel, get down now!" Dad shouts as the Dalek is behind me.

"Exterminate!" The Dalek shouts.

I throw myself onto the floor just as the Dalek and Jack fire at each other.

Lucky to say, the Dalek missed but Jack didn't. Which now leaves us with a smoking Dalek onboard Auntie.

"Oh, you were lucky." Jack looks at his gun. "That was just a one shot wonder. Drained the gun of all its power supply. Now it's just a piece of junk."

"Patience, my brethren." A large voice booms from outside of the doors.

"You said they were extinct." Rose looks at my dad who is examining the Dalek. "How come they're still alive?"

"One minute they're the greatest threat in the Universe." Jack replies. "The next minute they vanished out of time and space."

"They went off to fight a bigger war." Dad mutters darkly.

"The Time War." I add on, stepping over to his side and crouch down next to him.

"I thought that was just a legend!" Jack exclaims.

"I was there." Dad remarks, glancing at me. "The war between the Daleks and the Time Lords, with the whole of creation at stake. Our people were destroyed, but they took the Daleks with them. I almost thought it was worth it." He shakes his head. "Now it turns out they died for nothing!"

"There's thousands of them now." Rose comments. "We could hardly stop one. What're we going to do?"

"No good stood round here chin wagging." Dad says, standing up. "Human race, you'd gossip all day. The Daleks have got the answers."

"Let's go and meet the neighbours!" I stand up, heading over to the doors.

"You can't go out there!" Rose protests, but dad and I already gone through the doors.

"Exterminate!" The Daleks shout. "Exterminate! Exterminate!" They fire at us, but the force shield stops them from hitting us.

"Is that it? Useless!" Dad says cheerfully. "Nul points." He leans on Auntie, talking to Rose and Jack. "It's all right, come on out. That forcefield can hold back anything."

"Almost anything." Jack whispers.

"Yes, but I wasn't going to tell them that." Dad remarks, rolling his eyes. "Thanks."

"Sorry." He winces.

"Do you know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek Homeworld?" Dad asks, stepping forward. "The Oncoming Storm. You might've removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA, there's one little spark left, and that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?" The Daleks eyestalks twitch. "So tell me. How did you survive the Time War?"

"They survived through me." A booming voice answers.

Dad and I turn to see a giant Dalek mutant inside a Dalek casing.

"Rose, Captain, this is the Emperor of the Daleks." Dad introduces.

"You destroyed us, Doctor." The Emperor says. "The Dalek race died in your inferno, but my ship survived, falling through time, crippled but alive."