Chapter 10 | Maggie May

Happy Friday, all!

Shout out to Jesse_Winter_Soldier for being supportive through this writing process!

I hope you all are enjoying this fic as much as I am!

Happy Reading!

-Sif

This chapter is named after Rod Stwart's- Maggie May

Steve was late for lunch; he cursed the New York public transportation system

Steve was late for lunch; he cursed the New York public transportation system. He rushed down the sidewalk; turning the corner, he sighed in relief, seeing Peggy's Diner just on the corner. The large gray-bricked building settled on the junction between a bookstore and a laundry mat; little two-person tables and chairs were sitting outside under a red and white striped awning. He pushed open the heavy wooden door, the bell above ringing as he stepped inside. The floors are black and white checkered; old red leather booths with an upside-down white triangle in the middle, shiny white tabletops with chrome trim, two-seater tables down the middle, and at the counter where backless red leather and chrome stools sit. The décor screams vintage, with a lot of chrome pieces, old framed photos, vinyl records, and additional pieces from almost every era scattered on the walls. Along the wall just above the counter is a red neon sign lit up, Peggy's. The smell of warm, freshly brewed coffee, bacon, and ham on the blacktop and the spicy aroma of soup of the day welcomed him into the small establishment. He scanned the booths, locating Bucky and Sam; he headed back toward their corner booth.

"Well, it's about damn time," Sam grumbled at him over his glass of coke.

Bucky turned to see Steve; he chuckled, nudging Sam's leg under the table as he started to scoot over for Steve.

"I'm sorry, the subway was awful," Steve breathed, tossing his bag next to Sam as he slid into the booth beside Bucky.

Bucky assures him it's okay. Sam is just getting hangry; as if she was summoned, the waitress appears with three menus. But, of course, they don't need the menus; they already know what they want. She's a cute little redhead with dark blue eyes and a face full of freckles; she's wearing a red and white striped dress, the hem lands just at the knees, and the skirt is proofed out a little, a couple of top buttons undone showing a bit of black lace, she has a white apron around her waist, white shoes, and high white socks. Pinned just over her heart is a name tag that reads Heather.

She looks to Sam, who orders a double cheeseburger with bacon and fries first. Then on to Bucky, who gets an order of chili cheese fries, and a garden salad; when Sam raises a questioning brow, the brunette shrugs and says he's watching his waistline. Heather then looks at Steve, biting her lip and batting her lashes at him as he places his orders.

"I'll have the BLT, extra bacon, an order of fries, and a coke," he says, handing the menu back to her with a smile.

"I'll get that put in for you, fellas," she smiles, looking at Steve through her lashes.