Chapter 35 | Good Life

Steve found himself amidst a sea of fellow graduates in the bustling gymnasium

Steve found himself amidst a sea of fellow graduates in the bustling gymnasium. The air was charged with a palpable sense of excitement and anticipation, a feeling that transported him back to his graduation. The gym was a vibrant display of the university's colors, blue and yellow, with banners proudly showcasing the emblem and motto. The rows of folding chairs seemed to stretch on endlessly, each one occupied by a student donning the traditional cap and gown, a symbol of their shared journey and triumph.

His mind wandered; this year had been a whirlwind. He'd gone from eating ramen noodles in his tiny apartment on his old, sagging couch to eating dinner at a table with his girlfriend. His girlfriend. It didn't seem like it had been that long ago that he had met Amelia at Dugan's; she had taken him home and changed his life. Now they had a beautiful brownstone together, Steve was graduating college, and Teddy was thriving at his new school.

The past couple of months had been a blur: New Year's when Amelia asked him to move in with her, a moment that felt like the start of a new chapter in his life. Valentine's Day, when he helped Teddy plan a special gift for a girl he had been crushing on. Steve felt extremely honored that Teddy had come to him for advice. That same day, Steve had suggested to Amelia that they find a new home together and start fresh, which led to weeks of house hunting. Then, Spring Break in Miami came and went in a flash, filled with laughter and bonding moments.

He stood in his blue cap and gown, waiting for them to call his name. Steve took a deep breath; the smell of freshly cut flowers filled the air, a reminder of the bouquets waiting to be handed out to the graduates. The stage at the front of the gym was adorned with a grand podium and rows of seats for the faculty and honored guests. A large screen hung behind the stage, displaying a slideshow of memories from their time at the university—sporting events, club activities, late-night study sessions, and impromptu gatherings on the quad.

The ceremony began with a procession of the faculty, their academic regalia adding to the sense of occasion. The graduates followed, taking their assigned seats in the middle of the gymnasium.

As Steve sat there, his heart pounded with nerves and excitement. The energy in the gymnasium was electric, a blend of relief, joy, and anticipation. He scanned the stands, his eyes searching for familiar faces. His family and friends, their faces radiant with pride, came into view. Amelia and Teddy waved enthusiastically as they spotted him, their smiles broad and eyes sparkling. The sight of their love and support filled him with a surge of emotion, making the reality of this milestone moment even more profound.

Next to them sat Tony, Pepper, and Morgan, each of them beaming with pride. Tony gave a thumbs-up while Pepper gently held Morgan's hand, who was bouncing in her seat, her excitement palpable. Sam was sitting nearby with Tasha, Clint, and Bucky, all clapping and cheering loudly. Their presence added to the sense of camaraderie and celebration, making Steve feel deeply appreciated and supported.