Chapter 31 | My Kind Of Lover

Thanksgiving Day had arrived, marking a mix of excitement and nervousness for Steve

Thanksgiving Day had arrived, marking a mix of excitement and nervousness for Steve. His mom and stepdad are in town, and he was determined to make this Thanksgiving one to remember. The kitchen was bustling with activity as Steve and Amelia prepared a traditional feast, aiming to create a memorable meal for their family and friends.

The savory aroma of the roasting turkey filled the kitchen, mingling with the comforting scents of Steve's great-grandmother's famous dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes topped with golden brown marshmallows, and buttery flaky yeast rolls. Each dish carried a touch of family tradition and love, adding to the warmth of the occasion.

Meanwhile, the sound of Thanksgiving Day football resonated from the TV in the living room, where Brock and Owen were already engrossed in the game.

As Steve carefully basted the turkey in the oven, he felt a sense of pride. This was his first time hosting Thanksgiving; he usually tagged along with Bucky to the Barnes household. But this year, Steve was determined to create his own Thanksgiving memories.

Glancing into the dining room, Steve admired the beautifully set table Amelia had thrown together. A light and dark orange checkered table runner adorned the center, with round, hand-picked pumpkins strategically placed along the runner. Interspersed among the pumpkins was a delicate lamb ear vine, adding a touch of rustic elegance to the setting. Three candlesticks graced the table, each holding a round glass candle and surrounded by various colored and textured faux pumpkins. The overall effect was stunning, reminiscent of a scene straight out of a Pinterest board.

Steve smiled with satisfaction, knowing that everything was coming together beautifully. As guests started to arrive and the aroma of Thanksgiving dishes filled the air, Steve's nerves were replaced with excitement and anticipation for a wonderful celebration ahead.

"Which do you think looks best?" Amelia asked as she walked into the kitchen, each hand carrying a dark orange and dark red cloth napkin. "Marigold," she gestured with the orange napkin. "Or Cranberry?" she indicated with the red one.

Steve blinked, momentarily caught off guard. "Uh...," he scratched the back of his head. "Sweetheart, does it matter?"

"Yes, Steven, it does," Amelia huffed, looking down at her options before deciding on the marigold napkin. "This one will pair well with the runner," she explained.

Steve stepped closer to Amelia, his concern evident. "Is it really that important?" he asked, gently rubbing her shoulders.

Amelia let out a tired sigh, feeling the pressure of her hopes and expectations weighing her down. With a gentle sigh, she rested her forehead on Steve's chest, finding comfort in his embrace. "Yes... maybe... I don't know," she admitted, feeling unsure and a bit confused, her voice reflecting her mixed feelings. "I just want today to be perfect," she added, her words showing that she felt vulnerable and anxious.