Chapter 34 | Island In The Sun

Steve was running late, glancing anxiously at his watch as the cab weaved through the bustling New York streets

Steve was running late, glancing anxiously at his watch as the cab weaved through the bustling New York streets. It was February, and the city was wrapped in a thick layer of snow. The sky was a dull gray, with the occasional snowflake drifting lazily down to add to the pristine white blanket covering the sidewalks and streets. The air was biting cold, and the cab's heater provided little comfort to Steve's growing impatience.

As the cab neared the building, Steve leaned forward, his eyes fixed on the destination. The moment the cab came to a halt, he shot out of the car, shoving a fifty into the driver's hand. "Thanks," he called over his shoulder, already sprinting toward the entrance. His boots crunched on the freshly fallen snow as he climbed the steps to the doors of the building.

It was a nice building in a good neighborhood, with a clean facade and a modern design that stood out against the traditional brownstones. Steve pulled open the door and stepped into the warmth of the lobby, brushing snow from his shoulders. He scanned the room for Amelia, eager to join her and see the four-bedroom, three-bath condo they were considering. The thought of making a home together filled him with excitement, pushing away the chill of the February air.

As Steve entered the lobby, he quickly spotted Amelia standing with a well-dressed woman he assumed was the real estate agent. Amelia turned and saw him, a smile spreading across her face. "Finally," she called out as he approached, a teasing note in her voice.

Steve gave her a quick kiss, feeling a rush of warmth that had nothing to do with the heated lobby. "Sorry I'm late," he apologized, slightly out of breath. "My class ran over, and then traffic was a nightmare."

Amelia's eyes softened as she nodded understandingly. "I figured as much."

The real estate agent extended her hand, a professional smile on her face. "You must be Steve. I'm Laura Harris."

Steve shook her hand firmly. "Nice to meet you, Laura. Thanks for waiting."

"Not a problem at all," Laura said smoothly. "Shall we head up to the condo?"

Amelia nodded eagerly, slipping her hand into Steve's as they followed Laura to the elevator. As they ascended, Laura filled them in on the details of the building's amenities: a rooftop garden, a gym, and a private parking garage. The elevator doors opened to a wide, well-lit hallway, and Laura led them to a door at the end.

"This is it," she said, unlocking the door and pushing it open with a flourish.

As they crossed the threshold, Steve and Amelia's breath caught in their throats. The condo seemed to expand before them, bathed in natural light that poured in through the towering windows, offering a breathtaking view of the glistening cityscape below. The open floor plan beckoned them forward, effortlessly connecting the spacious living room, elegant dining area, and modern kitchen. Rich wooden floors gleamed under their feet, and Amelia's eyes with delight as she took in the sleek countertops and top-of-the-line appliances in the kitchen.