Chapter 18 | What's Love Got To Do With It

Hey guys!

Soooo....we hated the last chapter, right? Stick around. I PROMISE it will get better!

As always, a shout-out to my cheer reader, Jesse_Winter_Soldier, you're the best!

Please drop a comment and let me know your thoughts on the chapter! 🙏🏻

Happy Reading!

-Sif

The next update will be The Lucky One.

With July just around the corner, the office air conditioning was in full-blast mode, combating the summer heat

With July just around the corner, the office air conditioning was in full-blast mode, combating the summer heat. Everywhere you looked, there was an explosion of red, white, and blue decor and patriotic flair, setting the stage for the upcoming Independence Day celebrations.

It wasn't that Steve hated the Fourth of July or lacked patriotism; he understood the significance of celebrating the nation's independence from Great Britain. What made the day a tad bittersweet for him was the fact that his birthday also fell on the same day.

Steve stood in the  his gaze fixed on the ascending floor numbers. He had contemplated taking the stairs, but Bucky had insisted on the elevator, citing something about air conditioning. To be honest, Steve wasn't paying much attention to the details of the conversation. He was preoccupied with one thing – making sure "she" wasn't around.

Was it childish to be actively avoiding his ex-sugar mama? Steve couldn't be sure, but he found himself doing just that. After all, it wasn't every day you discovered that your former sugar mama had a child with a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. As far as Steve knew, there wasn't a support group for ex-sugar babies who fell in love and found themselves in such a unique predicament. But that didn't stop him from looking for one.

"Do you think I should ask her out?"

Bucky's question pulled Steve from his thoughts, and he blinked in confusion. "Huh?" he replied, clearly not having heard the previous conversation.

Bucky raised an eyebrow. "Did you hear a word I said?" he inquired, a hint of exasperation in his tone.

Steve shook his head, realizing his distraction. "I'm sorry, Buck," he apologized, refocusing his attention on the conversation.

"It's okay, pal," Bucky reassured Steve with a sympathetic smile.

As they stepped out of the elevator, Bucky led the way, with Steve following on autopilot. However, Steve's inattentiveness led to an abrupt collision with Bucky's back.

"What the—" Steve began, but Bucky's wide-eyed expression told the story.

Steve quickly looked over Bucky's shoulder and spotted Amelia, looking absolutely breathtaking in a white pencil skirt and a dark purple flowing blouse. She was engaged in a conversation with Tony Stark.