Safe in the Twilight as We Light Up the Night

Monika looked down at the city below her. The moving cars, the blowing wind that threatened to throw her off of the small ledge she sat upon. Maybe that's what she wanted. What she NEEDED. How sad he would be...how sad they would be. She never considered what it might be like to have her new love confront MC at her funeral. For the boy she loved more than words to face the man who saved her time and time again with his kindness and compassion. She looked at the small bracelet she held in her hand. The evil eye staring mockingly at her. She thought it was a cruel trick of fate when Adonis had given her an exact replica of the bracelet MC had sworn would protect her. It felt like an omen that he would always be watching. That he would always protect her. But what if Monika didn't want that anymore? What if she wanted to fight on her own and be smothered by the information? She knew it wasn't her choice...but she deeply wished it was.

She hoped that MC would remain gone, but she knew that was naive wishful thinking. She sat down on the ledge, careful to not tip over. She could imagine how worried he would feel seeing her up here. Desperate to see the best, but expecting the worst. Monika pressed her hand to her chest as she pulled her headphones from her large jacket pocket and connected them to her phone. She smiled softly as his gentle voice flooded her ears. "Husband." Monika whispered, wrapped her arms around herself with a small sigh. Her chest grew warm as she pulled the bracelet and the rosary and tossed them over the ledge. Her eager eyes followed their path of destruction as they floated amongst the falling pieces of snow. They landed on her coat and gloves, her hair and her lips. Despite the chill of their melting, Monika felt no cold. She would find out what she needed and she would prevail as she continued to. Over and over again. Her free hand caressed the spot where her scars lived. Scars that showed her bravery. Her success. She was no longer weak. Monika let out a low breath, her exhale creating a small cloud. She heard the door to the roof creak open and she turned to face it with a slow turn, her face breaking into a warm smile.

He had found her. "I never expected you find me." Monika chuckled as he walked towards her, his hands deep in the pockets of his coat. "You underestimate our brain cell then, my dear." Monika covered her mouth to contain her howl of laughter as he settled next to her. She offered her gloved hand to him and grinned as he took it in his own, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles. "Do you think everyone forgets what color they are?" Monika asked, facing him with an incredulous look in her face. "It's possible..." Monika nodded as she considered his answer, pulling her headphones down now that she no longer required them to hear his voice. They weren't necessary when he was right next to her. They sat silently for a few moments, watching the snow cascade in the sky.

She had wished for someone to accept her. She had found that in him. The obsession and pain became secondary to the comfort she felt at his side. He made her mind clear and manageable. When Monika began to shiver, he helped her away from the ledge and onto solid ground. He saved her from the verge and showed her what life should be. As they joined hands again and walked towards the door to the roof, Monika turned to him. "I think I've remembered what color I am." Monika whispered, squeezing his hand gently. "Oh? Which is it?" Monika's brow furrowed as she considered how to explain. "I am white. Because I am every color." Monika replied with a small smile. He chuckled gently as he kissed her hand. "I couldn't think of a better answer or color for you. You're just like the snow, then." "Maybe." Monika grinned. They reached the end of the stairs together and walked out into the light. To a world that would be reshaped by two dreamers. A pair of partners in crime that would stop at nothing to see peace. To create the world as it was meant to be. Free.