chapter 5- The Waiting Game

Chapter 5

I had done everything I could; now, it was a matter of waiting to see what would unfold.

It had been roughly four hours, though without power, time was untrackable. Joey hadn't left Emily's side, his vigil unwavering.

Her persistent fever was a growing concern for me.

"Ellie," Tommy's voice pulled my attention to where he sat beside me.

"Is Mom and Rach dead?" he inquired, his question drawing my gaze sharply to him.

"Tommy, of course not. Why would you think that?" I responded, irritation creeping into my voice.

"I'm sorry, I just thought..." he stammered, his apology softening my look before I enveloped him in a comforting embrace.

"they are going to be okay, Tommy. I promise," I assured him, holding him close for comfort.

"Before you know it, everything will be back to normal, and you will be back in school and i will be back at the hospital" i say making him stop hugging me.

"Hey...si-sissy do you-y-ou-want to know something funny" he smiled as he spoke making me smile down at him. 

"sure" i say, he was adorable. 

"My inhaler was in my pocket; I just found it," he chuckled, and I joined in, feigning shock with my jaw dropped.

"What?" I exclaimed, tickling him slightly, causing him to laugh even more.

"I'm going to tell Dad," he said with a smile as he stood up, prompting me to grab his hand.

"Let's not tell Dad; he won't find it funny," I suggested kindly. I doubted he would think the reason we lost the car and weren't with our mom and sister, because it was in his pocket all along, was humorous.

"Thank you ellie" he said hugging me, I cherished taking care of my brother; it's why moving away was so difficult for me—I didn't want to leave him behind. He struggles with stuttering, which made it even harder. In the city, people labeled me as odd because I lived with my parents longer than usual. In our city, everyone is expected to move out at eighteen and start their assigned jobs to maintain equality, or at least that's the claim. I never believed we were truly equal, especially considering the unequal treatment my brother receives simply because he's a bit different.

I believe it's my responsibility to care for Tommy after my parents pass away. It's a distressing thought, but he relies on me. I've noticed my parents gradually losing hope in him. He struggled to make friends and wasn't as quick to learn as others, but I believe he still has a chance once normalcy returns.

He's too important for me to abandon. I've dreamed that I might never find a partner; I don't consider myself unattractive, at least I hope not, but somehow my dates never work out. I often end up embarrassing myself. Perhaps if I were as beautiful as Lucy, things might be easier, but that's not the case. I've always wanted to be a mother, yet part of me feels that dream may never come true. That's probably why I treat Tommy as if he were my own child. Although I would cherish having a daughter, my current job is nothing like it was before the war. Now, people come in with minor ailments like colds or paper cuts, not serious illnesses or gunshot wounds—violence is non-existent here, as everyone is equal. Nevertheless, I am determined to do everything in my power to save Emily, and then our quest to find my mother and sister will continue... I hope then everything will return to normal..

.............................................................

I woke up realizing i  had fallen asleep, i sighed holding my head as i was tired, i haven't gotten any sleep since this all happened. some part of me hopped i would wake up in my bed and this would have all been a dream. i just wanted to see my mom and Rachel, i haven't thought much about how they could have not gotten out, i guess i just don't want to think about it