chapter 4- The Gas Station

Chapter 4

I awoke to growling and screaming; our car was upside down. Glancing at my dad, I saw he was just waking up too. An intense pressure throbbed in my head as blood rushed to it. Unbuckling my seatbelt, I fell and sliced my ankle on the broken door, which made me scream in pain.

"Oh god," I muttered, bleeding and in terrible pain. I moved to exit the car, limping, only to see buildings ablaze, lighting up the dark sky, and dead bodies strewn everywhere. I could never have imagined this; just hours before, everything was normal. Why now? After years without crime or danger inside or outside the walls, why now?

"Tommy" I say opening the backdoor to see him passed out, i watched as glass fell around him, I unbuckled him carefully and my dad got out and ran to me......he placed tommy in his arms as i grabbed our bookbags, i placed one on my back and my dad did as well and got my knife in my hand.

"We have to get off the streets" i say groaning as i tried to walk and my dad agreed.

"But where?" i ask as we looked around as people screamed running and buildings on fire, i looked to see ben letting people into the gas station and his eyes landed on me, i looked over at my dad and he nodded and we ran to the gas station, i winced in pain each step. We got in and he shut the door, locking it and boarding up the windows with a few other people.

"Thank you so much" my dad thanked him and i was about to say something, but I felt lightheaded.

"Ellie you, okay?" My dad's voice echoed in my ear while I nodded but I felt myself lose my balance "Ellie'' he said again but I fell down letting weakness take over my body. once again.

.................................................

I woke up and my vision was blurred and i saw my dad yelling at a man.

"Dad?" I say weakly as i looked down to see my ancle had been bandaged.

"We have to leave; my wife and daughter are out there waiting for us!" my dad yelled at the man.

"You go out there, it's putting us all at risk!" the man yelled back making some people agree.

"Tony let the man find his family" a woman i assume was his wife said as she held her baby.

"Where's tommy?" i ask getting up making my dad look at me

"With the other kids" he answered then went back to yelling at the man, i looked around to see two other kids playing with tommy, i counted to see four women including myself and one with a baby making there be four kids total and five men including my dad.

"Can you guys keep your voices down? The streets are filled with biters," Ben said, making me look at him.

"Biters?" I questioned.

"That's what I'm calling them; that's all I've seen them do," Ben answered, looking down.

"Ben," I softly said, feeling a pit in my heart for him as he tried to maintain a smile.

"Did you hear anything from Taylor or Lucy? I hope they made it out of this mess," he said, making me look to the floor, my face turning cold. I should tell him.

"Yeah, I'm sure they did," I gave him a smile before it dropped when he looked away. I couldn't tell him; with everything that he has been through, it's best he didn't know.

"Hey, maybe we should keep it down, alright?" Ben suggested, causing Tony to look at him.

"I'm sorry, Ben, but this jerk is going to get us killed," Tony retorted, making Ben look away, unable to defend himself.