chapter 10- Hunting

Chapter 10

Toby screamed in agony. I watched as Danny assisted Toby out of the truck. As I dashed toward the truck, a little girl clutched my hand. I glanced at her.

"It's okay, I'll be right back... go inside," I told her, and with her nod, I hurried to the truck.

"Oh God," Toby's screams pierced the air, breaking my heart.

"What the hell happened?" I asked, terror-stricken at the sight of blood soaking Toby's leg.

"One of those creatures tore through his leg," Danny explained, struggling to carry him. Ryder joined to help, preventing them from falling.

"Get him inside," Mable commanded. Toby groaned with each movement as we got him inside and laid him on the couch.

Toby's cries of pain continued.

"Oh God," I muttered, covering my mouth, noticing the little girl and Liam watching Toby.

"Go upstairs," I urged gently.

"But I want to help—" Liam began, but I shook my head.

"I know, but you shouldn't see this," I insisted, as Toby's moans of suffering filled the room. They nodded and headed upstairs. I turned away as Mable began to clean and bandage his leg, finally silencing his screams.

"How did this happen?" I asked, and Danny removed his hat, sighing deeply.

"When we were out hunting, this... this thing appeared. I've never seen anything like it," he said, pacing back and forth.

"Shit," I muttered, glancing at Ryder, who mirrored my expression.

"You don't understand; these creatures were neither human nor biters," Danny explained, prompting another look from Ryder towards me.

"Actually, we do understand," I said, causing Danny to give me a puzzled look.

"What do you mean?" Danny inquired. I opened my mouth to explain, but the words failed to come.

"Because we've encountered them before," Ryder interjected, crossing his arms, and I nodded in agreement.

"What are they?" Danny pressed, to which I could only shrug.

"I have no idea," I admitted, turning to look at Toby as his breathing grew more labored.

"What's going to happen to him?" Liam asked, prompting Carrie to approach.

"Ellie told you to head upstairs," Carrie instructed, "Come on," she urged, guiding him away.

My gaze fell on Toby, fear creeping in. What if he turns into a biter? The thought terrified me. Poor Mable would be devastated. Guilt washed over me; if we hadn't come here, they might have been safe.

"What are we going to do?" Lydia questioned.

"We need supplies to stitch up his leg, clean the wound properly, and medication to reduce his fever," Mable detailed, gently touching Toby's forehead.

"I can go back to the camp, I'm sure it has everything we need" I offer. making Ryder look at me, i kept my gaze on my Mable. 

"I'll go too," Ryder said. My gaze fell on Ryder, his eyes showing worry, as if he knew what I was about to say.

"It's okay, having two people could be dangerous... plus, what if something happens..." I said, walking to grab my bag.

"I'm not letting you go alone," Ryder stated, a bit of anger in his voice as he followed me. He grabbed my arm, forcing me to look at him.