Because I'm a Weasley | Garreth

Y/n sauntered over to Garreth, sitting playfully on the edge of his desk. It was just the two of them in this section of the library. She was lucky she was able to find him here, in such a quiet place. It wasn't like him.

"Hello Garreth," she smiled, catching the attention of the ginger boy. He immediately closed his books and pushed them aside, likely thankful for the interruption.

"To what do I owe the pleasure," he smiled, his cheeks glowing red under his freckles.

"I actually need your advice," she admitted, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh, well I always give great advice," he boasted, leaning back against the chair and kicking his feet up on the table beside her, "You've definitely come to the right place."

"Well let me actually tell you my dilemma before you jump to that conclusion," she giggled, covering her mouth to both muffle the sound and hide her blush. "It is about a boy..."

"A boy," Garreth raised his eyebrow in suspicion. "Is Leander still bothering you? Do I need to hex him again?" He asked.

"No, no, it's not about Leander this time," she muttered, slowly working up the courage to say the words. All her preparation in the mirror this morning seemed to be a wasted effort. "I think I have a crush-" Garreth pulled his feet off the table and straightened up as he faced her. Normally his thoughts and feelings could easily be read from his facial expressions, but y/n could not tell what was on his mind now. "Well I don't really think I have one, I know I do..."

"Is it Sebastian," he blurted, holding eye contact with her.

"No Garreth-"

"It's Ominis then, huh?"

"No Garreth, it's not Ominis either."

"Please don't tell me it's Leander," he teased, his face contorting into a worried expression.

Y/n smiled at his joke, lessening the pressure of the moment. "Now you're just being cruel," she joked back. The two burst into a fit of laughter- only to be hushed by an annoyed librarian, who also scolded y/n for sitting on the table. Quickly, y/n slid into the empty chair beside Garreth.

"Well who is it," he whispered, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear. It was like he wanted to distract himself.

"I-" she stuttered, "I have a crush on you, Garreth."

His hand froze in place and his eyes remained unmoving as they stared at nothing. Y/n could practically see the cogs turning in his head as he mulled over what she just confessed.

"I- what?" He snapped back to reality, shaking his head as if to reset his mind. His eyes poured into hers with a mixture of confusion and worry. He couldn't fathom the idea that this was not just some joke.

"You- you're the person I like..." she admitted again, barely above a whisper.

He shook his head in disagreement, "No- you're joking," he shrugged dismissively.

"I'm not- is it really so absurd to think that I have fallen for you?"

"Y/n please be serious," he pleaded.

"This is stupid," she shifted uncomfortably in her seat, "I shouldn't have said anything-"

"No- I'm sorry," he apologized, "I- it's just- you can't like me-"

Y/n scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Why not-" she spat bitterly. She had just confessed her feelings for him and he was making a fool out of her.

"Because-" he struggled, "because I'm a Weasley." The words spilled out as if they were obvious.

"So?" She raised her eyebrow, still embarrassed from his reaction.

"So..." he sighed, running a hand through his  thick, red hair, "I know what other people say about me- about my family. That we're poor- an embarrassment to purebloods, the list could go on really," he laughed lowly.

Y/n shook her head in disbelief. None of what he said had ever crossed her mind, and even if it did, it wouldn't matter.

"And you," he breathed, "you're you." He gestured, admiring the girl in front of him.

"You must know me well enough to know that I don't care about that stuff," she scoffed. "I do not see you as some Weasley, I see you as Garreth, the funniest guy in school, the one who brings light into my world on my darkest days... my Garreth."

He glanced up at her, pieces of his hair falling into to his face. He eyed her suspiciously, as if he still wasn't sure if this was just some elaborate prank being pulled on him.

After a few moments of silence, he made up his mind, the left corner of his lips turning up into a smirk, "So you think I'm the funniest guy in school, huh?"