Chapter Sixty-Four

BEN

I glanced at the clock on the wall, its hands slowly inching towards the end of the day. The office buzzed with activity, the collective murmur of voices and the scratch of pens on paper. It was my first day as a professor at Mount Holyoake, a fresh start to escape the emotional whirlwind that had consumed my life. I sighed, burdened by the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Sitting at my desk, my mind drifted to Melody Plum. She was seventeen now, with a smile that could light up the darkest room. I had known her since she was a child, watching her grow into a young woman. But over the years, my feelings for her had transformed into something I couldn't comprehend or control.

I shook my head, attempting to banish those thoughts. I was a married man, committed to Waverly for life. Yet, my heart yearned for Melody, a desire that gnawed at me like a cancer. I felt like a failure as a father, a husband, and a wretched old man all at once. I had convinced myself that this infatuation was a result of a mid-life crisis, a temporary madness that would eventually pass.

"Professor Davenport, are you present?"

Startled, I looked up to find my colleague, Dr. Andrews, standing before me. He raised an eyebrow, his eyes shimmering with amusement. Annoyance tinged my reaction to his interruption.

"Yes, yes, of course," I muttered, hastily grabbing a stack of papers to appear occupied. "Just lost in thought."

Dr. Andrews chuckled. "First-day nerves, eh? Don't fret, you'll get the hang of it. Just remember, keep the students engaged. They've come here to learn, but they won't if you lull them to sleep."

I forced a smile, nodding along with his advice. "Right, engage the students. Got it."

With a friendly pat on my shoulder, he strolled away, leaving me alone with my ruminations. The feeling of being trapped, suffocated by the weight of my desires, intensified. The walls seemed to close in around me, and I yearned for release, an escape from this tangled mess of emotions.

Just then, my phone buzzed, shattering the office's silence. I glanced at the screen and saw a text from Waverly.

Waverly: The twins are stable. They'll be staying at the hospital for a few more days. Melody is with them. Nancy is still in a coma. I miss you.

My heart clenched at her words, a mix of relief and guilt washing over me. I quickly typed out a reply.

Ben: I miss you too. Take care of everyone. I'll be home soon.

As I hit send, a flicker of anticipation coursed through me. When I arrive home, my flat would be empty. It would be just me and the silence, a temporary respite from the chaos that had consumed my life.

Gathering my belongings, I made my way out of the office, feeling an uneasiness settle upon my shoulders. The nagging feeling that this calm was merely a precursor to the storm lingered in the background. Yet, for now, I pushed those thoughts aside, determined to face whatever lay ahead.

Outside, the world hummed with oblivious activity. I hailed a taxi and slid into the backseat, gazing out the window as the city rushed by. Thoughts of Melody and the convoluted web I had woven entangled my mind. I wondered if there would ever be a way out.

As the taxi pulled up to my flat, I paid the fare and stepped onto the sidewalk. The front door loomed before me, a gateway to a life I had once cherished but now felt distant and foreign. Taking a deep breath, I reached for the doorknob, hesitating briefly before turning it.

Inside, the flat was eerily quiet. I wandered from room to room, my footsteps echoing through the empty halls. The silence enveloped me, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of loneliness. I longed for the sound of laughter, the joyful chaos of my children's voices filling the air.