Chapter Twenty-Three

Alex

The ever-elusive Melody Plum, the girl I almost have. Well, that's a bit of a laugh in itself, isn't it? Melody is the most independent, free-spirited girl I know. She won't bow or sway for anyone, least of all me.

After our maths class, I approached her desk so that I could escort her to the library. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, she stays at school till six-thirty because of Yearbook meetings, which starts at five, but in between the end of class and her next activity, she frequently goes to the library to get a jump on her homework. For the last couple of weeks, I've been going there with her. I watch her while pretending to do the homework I'd already done in between classes.

When she concentrates, she tends to bite her lower lip or have the tiniest tip of her tongue sticking out in the corner of her mouth. She'd catch me watching her sometimes, and she'd swat me in that chastising way of hers, but a pinkish bloom stains her cheek each time. Her giggles are music to my ears, and when she says "Chambers," the s-sound slides down my spine like silk. She laughs at me often, and I don't mind because her chocolate-brown eyes sparkle with glee even as she calls me names or makes fun of me. When she smiles at me, my heart plunges to my stomach, then rockets up my throat, before settling back in my ribcage. The lass makes me feel twenty different things just by looking at me.

"I have to go talk to Mr. Davenport, Chambers," she says, avoiding my eyes as she gathered her things together to stick in her Gudetama backpack.

I shrug. "How long will that take? I can walk you there and wait for you." I've been steadily worrying about her these last couple of weeks. She has a bloody psycho following her around, for Pete's sake, and I don't feel like I'm doing enough to protect her.

"Get off my back, Alex. Just wait for me in the library, will you? Honestly, you're like a drone sometimes." She pushes past me and marches toward Charlie Davenport, but stops short when Audrey Rose cuts her off and gets to him first. She looks over her shoulder back at me. "I'll see you in the library, Chambers, okay?"

I grit my teeth as I watch her storm off. I have a student council meeting in ten minutes to get to in the Saint Paul building. I've skipped it a couple of times now in my pursuit of this slippery lass. Tessie has not been happy with me. I get my things together and head for the door, only to have young Davenport step in my way.

I sigh. I don't have the patience for this, but he's Melody's best friend, so I grin and bear it. I'm almost half a foot taller and two stone heavier than the little twerp, anyway. "What's up, Charlie?"

The kid looks me up and down like he's looking to scrap and thumbs his nose. "Is it true what I've been hearing, that you and Mel are dating?"

His chin is thrust upward, one foot in front of the other, and his shoulders loose and relaxed. He's in a fighting stance. I raise an eyebrow and laugh to myself. Is this clown taking the piss? "She's agreed to exclusively hang out with me in a romantic manner, Davenport, yes." I try my best to keep my voice level and my expression neutral. Melody has repeatedly told me that she and Charlie are just friends. "Do you have a problem with that?"

"Only if you disrespect her or treat her like garbage, Chambers," he mutters darkly.

Audrey Rose, a girl I took on a couple of dates but ultimately found uninteresting, is standing behind Charlie, her arms crossed over her sizable boobs, and tapping her foot on the floor. If Charlie would only turn around and see her now: her eyes are telling me to bugger off and die in a fire.

"No worries on that front, mate," I assure the kid. "I hold Miss Plum in the highest regard. Couldn't even imagine harming a strand of hair on her pretty head. Cheers!"