Chapter Eighty One

MELODY

The sun was setting as I found myself in the desolate surroundings of the abandoned 7-11. It had been an ominous place even when it was operational, but now it was a decaying husk, stripped of its former glory and left to rot. The peeling posters on the windows flapped in the wind like old ghosts, and the once-bright red and green sign creaked above the entrance. Tall weeds sprouted through cracks in the uneven pavement, and the air felt heavy with stale memories.

"Melody, come on!" Teddy Rogers called out, his voice cracking slightly. He was Violet's younger brother, though he seemed nothing like her at first glance. He had a lanky build and curly red hair that flopped over his nervous eyes. I never expected him to be my savior, but there he was, helping me and Madi escape from the nightmarish situation Violet had dragged us into.

"Okay, okay," I muttered, swallowing past the lump in my throat. My heart raced from fear and adrenaline, but I tried to keep it together for Madi's sake. She was just a kid and didn't deserve any of this madness.

As we followed Teddy, I couldn't help but feel uneasy. The area around the abandoned 7-11 was an urban wasteland, with graffiti-covered walls and shattered glass littering the ground. Chain-link fences rattled with each gust of wind, and I could hear the distant howls of stray dogs. It was the kind of place you'd expect to find danger lurking around every corner.

"Almost there," Teddy assured us, though I could see the tension in his jaw and the way his fingers twitched. I wanted to trust him, but something about the way he carried himself made me question his motives.

I shook off my doubts and focused on getting Madi to safety. That was my priority right now. Everything else could wait.

***

Teddy's eyes darted around nervously, and his brow was slick with sweat. It was as if he was expecting trouble at any moment. His body language screamed tension, from the way he clenched his fists to the hunch of his shoulders.

"Hey, kiddo," I whispered to Madi, whose teary eyes were wide with fear. "It's gonna be okay." The words tasted like a lie, but I needed her to believe them, so I forced a reassuring smile onto my face. "We're getting out of here."

Madi sniffled, wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand. She clung to me like a lifeline, and I hugged her close, hoping my presence would give her some measure of comfort.

"Follow me," Teddy urged, his voice strained. He led us through the desolate alley which smelled like wet garbage, his steps too quick and uneven. As we trailed behind him, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about this whole situation, and it gnawed at me like an itch I couldn't reach.

"Where are you taking us?" I asked, trying to keep my tone steady. I didn't want to spook him, but I had to know.

"Your families called the cops," he replied, glancing over his shoulder. "They're waiting in the parking lot nearby. We just need to get there."

"Okay," I said, swallowing hard. There was no turning back now.

When we finally reached the parking lot, a rush of relief washed over me. Police cars, their lights spinning like frantic fireflies, were scattered across the asphalt. Officers milled about, speaking into radios and scribbling in notepads. Amidst the chaos, I spotted the Davenports – Waverly, Ben, Charlie, Lottie, and Noah – all huddled together by one of the vehicles, their faces etched with worry. Over to the side stood Nancy, Janice, and Uncle Lucien.

"Mom! Dad!" Madi cried out, her voice cracking as she wriggled free from my grasp and ran towards them. Waverly scooped her up in a tight embrace, tears streaming down both of their faces.