Chapter Seventy Seven

ALEX

I sit alone in my Oxford dorm room, staring at a picture of Melody on my phone. The digital image doesn't do her justice, but it's all I have to deal with the ache that gnaws at me. I know I've been smothering her with constant attention and affection, which is why she asked for time and space apart before I left for England. She didn't have the emotional energy to be a proper girlfriend, considering everything going on in her life. Bloody hell, she was kidnapped, and her stepmother Nancy was nearly beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend. Poor woman's still in a coma.

The image of Melody in my hand does little to ease the pain inside me, but I can't tear my eyes away. Should I let her go? Is that what's best for her? My heart constricts as my fingers tremble around the phone. There's no easy answer to this agonizing question.

In an attempt to drown out the turmoil in my mind, I pick up my violin and start playing a mournful tune. The haunting melody echoes through the otherwise silent room, encapsulating the torment I feel. But my respite is short-lived, as my resident advisor pounds on the door, shouting: "Oi! Cut the racket!"

"Fine," I mutter under my breath, lowering the violin and letting the silence seep back into the room.

When I return to the states and school, Melody and I actively avoid each other. We don't make eye contact or speak - it's as if we're strangers. And yet, I can't help but feel a sense of relief that Ben Davenport is no longer pursuing her, thanks to his wife's interference. That creepy old sod had no business chasing after my Melody.

"Hey, Alex!" Tessie, one of my mates, calls out as she bounds toward me in the school hallway. "How are you holding up?"

"Fine, I guess," I reply, forcing a smile that doesn't reach my eyes.

"Melody still avoiding you?" she asks, her concern evident in her voice.

"Like the plague," I admit, bitterness lacing my words.

"Look, Alex, maybe it's for the best right now," Tessie says gently. "She needs time to heal and figure things out."

"Maybe you're right," I sigh, although the thought of letting Melody go sends a fresh wave of pain through me. "I just miss her so bloody much."

"I know," Tessie says softly, placing a comforting hand on my arm. "But sometimes, love means giving someone the space they need, even if it hurts."

As I watch Melody walk past me without a glance, my heart aches with a mix of longing and despair. But I know Tessie is right - I must give her the space she needs, no matter how much it tears me apart inside.

***

One day, during my daily attempt to pretend Melody doesn't exist, I find myself face-to-face with her in the hallway. Her brown eyes lock onto mine, and for a moment, time seems to stand still. It's as if the universe itself is conspiring against my efforts to ignore her.

"Melody," I choke out, suddenly feeling like I can't breathe. "Can we talk? Please?"

She hesitates, biting her lip, and then nods. "Alright."

We slip into an empty classroom, shutting the door behind us. The silence is heavy, suffocating, but I can't help but feel a thrill at being alone with her again. It's been almost two weeks since we've spoken, and it feels like an eternity.

"So," she begins, fidgeting with the hem of her skirt. "How have you been?"

"Fine," I reply, unable to keep the bitterness from seeping into my voice. "You?"

"Fine," she echoes, and I can tell she's lying. Her eyes are shadowed, her delicate frame even more fragile than before.

"Melody," I say softly, taking a step towards her. "What's going on? You've been so distant lately."