Chapter Sixty Nine

WAVERLY

I stand in the doorway, observing the remnants of our once-perfect family as they sit scattered about the living room. The fragile facade I've maintained for so long fractures a little more each day, threatening to shatter irreparably. My heart clenches tightly at the thought.

"Charlie, Lottie, would you mind setting the table?" I request, my tone cold but gentle. "We're expecting Lucien tonight."

"Another bloody dinner party," Charlie grumbles under his breath as he begrudgingly complies. Lottie rolls her eyes and follows her brother into the kitchen. They've grown tired of these strained gatherings, and how could I blame them?

The doorbell chimes, and I stride across the room to admit our guest. Lucien's angular features soften slightly when he sees me, and I can't help but appreciate the warmth in his gaze. I feel my cheeks flush with a mix of embarrassment and gratitude.

"Good evening, Waverly," he greets in his usual clipped manner, handing me a bottle of wine. "I hope this will suffice."

"Thank you, Lucien," I reply, tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "Your company is always welcome."

As we make our way to the dining room, I catch Melody glancing surreptitiously at Lucien, her expression unreadable. Their burgeoning friendship is awkward, to say the least, but I'm grateful for his presence in her life. She needs someone who understands her pain.

"Lucien, do sit down," I urge, motioning to an empty chair. He hesitates for a moment before complying, and we begin to pass around the dishes. The conversation that follows is stilted, punctuated by uncomfortable silences.

"How's... Ben?" Lucien inquires cautiously, breaking through one such silence.

"I just saw him this morning. I visited him before heading to work," I reply, my voice wavering slightly as I remember the vacant expression in his eyes. "He's... well, he's still Ben."

"Has he remembered anything new?" Lottie asks, her voice tinged with sadness.

"No," I admit, struggling to keep my composure. "But we're hopeful."

"Of course," Lucien agrees, his tone gentle. "I'm sure things will improve in time."

"Right," I murmur, trying to ignore the nagging doubt that gnaws at my insides. What if things never get better? What if our family remains fractured forever?

"Hey, Mum," Charlie says, pulling me from my thoughts. "Your chicken Alfredo is excellent tonight. It's the best I've ever tasted it." He puts a forkful of pasta in his mouth as though to prove a point.

"Thank you, darling." I force a tight smile. "But I didn't make it. It's a frozen one from Costco. I haven't had the time..."

"Still good," Charlie assures me.

The rest of the meal continues in much the same manner, the tension between us all palpable. My mind drifts back to Ireland, wondering what life would be like if I could just run away and leave this mess behind. But I can't. These children need me – even if they don't realize it themselves.

"Thank you for dinner, Waverly," Lucien says as he prepares to take his leave. "It was lovely, as always."

"Thank you for coming," I reply, genuinely grateful for his presence. "Please, don't be a stranger."

"Never," he promises, his eyes lingering on me for a moment before he turns to go.

As the door closes behind him, I lean against it and let out a heavy sigh. The weight of the world feels as though it's crushing me, but I must stay strong. For my children. For Ben. For myself.