Chapter Seventy Six

MELODY

A deep sense of dread filled my stomach as I stepped one foot into the Davenport's living room. The door closed behind me with a gentle click, but it felt like the sound of a guillotine slicing through the air. Aunt Waverly's gaze seemed to almost burn holes in my skin as I ambled across the room toward her. She was well aware of my true feelings for her husband, and my teenage angst grew more real by the second. My heart pounded against my chest so hard that I thought it might break free from its cage and surrender itself to her.

"Melody, come sit down," Aunt Waverly says with a smile that seems genuine enough, but then again, she could just be good at hiding her anger. I mean, she is the headmistress of a private school after all – I bet she's had loads of practice dealing with unruly teens.

"Thanks, Aunt Waverly," I mumble, taking a seat on the couch next to Ben, who looks equally nervous. I can't help but wonder if he's remembering more than just bits and pieces of his past – like what happened between us before his amnesia. My stomach sinks just thinking about it.

"Okay," Aunt Waverly begins, "I think we need to talk about the elephant in the room. It's clear to me that there are some feelings between you two." She glances at both of us, her eyes piercing through any facade we might have tried to put up.

I feel the heat rising to my cheeks and I can't help but look away. I know that this is wrong – that it's wrong for me to be in love with a man old enough to be my father. But no matter how much logic I try to use, my heart won't listen. It wants what it wants, and right now it wants Ben.

Aunt Waverly continues speaking, her voice gentle but firm as she explains why this kind of relationship is inappropriate and why it cannot continue. She talks about the dangers of being involved with someone who has so much power over you, both in terms of age and position. She also talks about the fact that even if we do end up together, our relationship will always be seen through the lens of an unequal power dynamic – something that will make us both uncomfortable for years to come. Most importantly, she points out that Ben is married to her and they have four kids together, two of them my best friends.

I sit there silently taking in her words, feeling like my heart is being ripped apart inch by inch. I want to argue with her – tell her that our love is real and strong enough to withstand anything society might throw at us – but deep down I know she's right. This isn't just about me or Ben; it's about keeping a family together.

Finally, after several moments of agonizing silence, Aunt Waverly speaks again: "So what do you think? Do you agree?" Her eyes are full of sadness as she looks at me expectantly, waiting for an answer that I'm not sure I'm ready to give.

"Aunt Waverly, I swear nothing's happened between us," I blurt out. Smooth, Melody, real smooth.

"Melody, relax," she says softly, putting a hand on mine. "I'm not angry. I understand why things might feel complicated right now. But let's be honest with each other. We're family."

I swallow hard and nod, stealing a quick glance at Ben, who looks like he wants to be anywhere but here. I don't blame him.

"Ben, do you want to start?" Aunt Waverly asks gently, and I can't help but admire her poise in what must be an incredibly awkward situation for her.

"Um, sure," he says, clearing his throat. "I'm sorry, Waverly, if I've made things difficult. My memories are still pretty fuzzy, but I do remember feeling... close to Melody."

He pauses and takes a deep breath. "But I know that this can't happen," he continues. "I'm married to you, and we have four beautiful kids together. I love all of you more than anything in the world, and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that."