chapter 13: Clash of Creativity: The Mexican-Japanese Fusion

Shortly after the introduction, Hinako Inui supervises the first assignment, announcing that the students must work with their partners from Roland's class. Catalina is paired with a vibrant and imaginative girl named Emi Kawakami. They quickly strike up a conversation, discussing their shared passion for exploring unique flavor combinations and culinary traditions.

Excited that Megumi is partnered with Sōma, Catalina eagerly runs over to join them. However, before she can reach them, a mysterious boy stomps on Sōma's foot, proclaiming his intention to defeat him. 

Curiosity piqued, Catalina decides to intervene and playfully shushes Megumi and Sōma to ensure her surprise isn't spoiled. As she approaches the Aldini brothers and her friends, she whispers a cheerful "Taku" into Takumi's ear, causing him to jump back and turn a shade of crimson.

The assignment begins, but to everyone's surprise, there are no ingredients in the kitchen. Hinako reveals that they must venture into the surrounding area to gather their own ingredients, adding an additional challenge to their task. 

Catalina takes the lead, guiding Emi as they explore the bountiful nature around them, collecting ingredients that inspire their creativity. Together, they craft a mouthwatering array of dishes, including beef sliders with Oaxaca cheese, blue corn masa dumplings with roasted salsa verde, and mushroom karaage to grilled skewers of duck with yuzu mustard and squash al pastor—a harmonious fusion of Mexican and Japanese flavors.

Meanwhile, Sōma and Megumi manage to gather a few ingredients and rush back to the kitchen just as Takumi arrives with an Aigamo duck. As they work on their respective dishes, Takumi shares his pride in his family-owned restaurant, Trattoria Aldini. The Aldini twins present their dish, an Aigamo Grilled with Spices, impressing Hinako with its profound flavors and earning their passage to the next round.

Hisako recalls Takumi's earlier request for a judge-off between their dish and Sōma and Megumi's dish. She agrees, but with a playful twist—declaring that the loser must bow before the winner and call themselves a dejected loser three times. The tension rises as the judging commences.

Sōma, quick on his feet, finalizes his dish choice and sends Megumi to gather garnish. As his secret weapon, he snatches Hinako's kaki seeds and rushes out to collect a few more ingredients. Returning to the kitchen, Sōma and Megumi showcase their creation—a Char Okakiage. The ingenuity of the kaki seeds and the thoughtful presentation impress Hinako, leading to their passage to the next round as time runs out.

Sōma and Takumi turn to Hinako, eagerly seeking her judgment on whose dish was better. However, Hinako is unable to decide, declaring it a draw between Sōma and Takumi. She also praises Catalina and Emi for their unexpected and remarkable fusion of Mexican and Japanese flavors. Takumi, determined to defeat Sōma and Catalina in the future, vows to continue honing his skills.

With the first assignment concluded and a sense of friendly rivalry lingering in the air, the students brace themselves for the challenges that lie ahead in their culinary journey at the Tōtsuki Friendship and Rapport Training Camp.