Chapter 27: Block B

In Block B, the atmosphere is charged with excitement as Catalina prepares to showcase her culinary skills against the other competitors in her hall. As the time for preparation comes to an end, the first student, Takumi Ishiwatari, presents his dish and receives praise from the judges. However, to his disappointment, his score is only 33 out of 100.

The judges, known for their discerning palates, consider 50 to be a commendable score for a student. The following dishes also receive disappointingly low scores: 28 points, 31 points, and even a mere 6 points. The arena falls silent, enveloped in disappointment when suddenly an overwhelming stench fills the air.

Amidst the tension, Nao Sadatsuka steps forward and unveils her Jet Black Curry Laksa. The judges recoil from the dish due to its horrible aroma, refusing to eat it. Nao's unorthodox choice of using kusaya, a fish brining solution, on flying fish and mahi-mahi as the primary flavors in her dish leaves everyone intrigued. Out of a sense of obligation, Orie Sendawara bravely takes a bite and is surprised to find the dish strangely delicious. She can't resist eating more, and the judges become captivated by Nao's cooking prowess, surrendering to the spell of Tōtsuki's Boiling Witch. Nao achieves a remarkable score of 84, catapulting her to the top of the rankings.

Next up is Hisako Arato, who remains unfazed by Nao's performance. Hisako and Nao have a history, as Nao holds a grudge against Hisako for challenging her to a Shokugeki two years ago in an attempt to take her position as Erina Nakiri's aide. When Hisako emerged victorious, Nao was subjected to a restraining order, limiting her proximity to Erina to 50 meters. Despite this, Nao continues to admire and observe Erina from a distance, fueling her desire to win against Hisako and change Erina's opinion of her.

The judges evaluate Hisako's mutton curry soup with initial skepticism, still under the influence of Nao's strong dish. However, with a single sip, their enthusiasm reignites. Hisako has masterfully incorporated the essence of four medicinal plants, which are also spices used in curry, showcasing her expertise in medicinal cuisine. After tasting Hisako's curry, the judges find Nao's dish crude and offensive in comparison.

To emphasize the disparity in their cooking, Hisako offers Nao a portion of her dish. As Nao takes a bite, she experiences a momentary cleanse that leaves her stunned and weakened. Hisako, with sharp words, reveals her family's generations-long practice of oriental medicine, which she has translated into her culinary skills. Hisako likens herself to a dietetic doctor from Imperial China, dedicated to serving her Empress Erina.

With an impressive score of 92, Hisako overtakes Nao and the arena erupts in applause. Surprisingly, Nao's admiration for Hisako only grows stronger. Meanwhile, the Aldini brothers, Isami and Takumi, await their turn. Isami expresses his strong desire to surpass his younger brother that day.

In Block B, Miyoko Hōjō steps forward to be judged. Her Pineapple Fried Curry Rice receives 87 points, pushing Nao Sadatsuka down to third place. Miyoko's dish, reminiscent of Chinese sweet and sour pork, involves baking stir-fried rice inside a hollowed pineapple, allowing the pineapple's fragrance to infuse the rice without drying it out. Shingo Andō envisions Miyoko as a kung-fu master surrounded by a dragon of fire, dubbing her the "Iron Fire Dragon Girl." Her dish delivers a powerful blow, particularly against male competitors.

Meanwhile, in Block A, Shōji Satō and Daigo Aoki enter the stadium, anticipating an uproar. To their surprise, the arena is eerily silent, the result of Natsume Sendawara awarding zero points to a candidate.

Returning to Block B, Yūki Yoshino presents her Duck Cutlet Curry, earning a score of 86 and securing third place. Osaji Kita expresses satisfaction with her dish, noting how the combination of turmeric and orange tempers the gaminess of the duck. Andō observes that Yūki must have good connections with hunters to acquire such high-quality game. Osaji extends an invitation to Yūki to join his gourmet club, leaving her giddy with excitement. From the sidelines, Fumio Daimidō comments on Yūki's cheerful nature, likening her to the "Little Red Riding Hood of the Forest of Wild Beasts" who captivates people with her cooking.

Now, it's time for the Aldini twins to showcase their skills. Isami Aldini presents his Curry Bread Calzone, a fusion of Japanese curry bread and Italian cuisine. Instead of the usual mozzarella cheese and pizza fillings, Isami surprises the judges by using curry as the filling. He incorporates tomato juice and spices that complement the natural acidity of tomatoes, resulting in a rich curry with umami flavors. Satoshi Isshiki recognizes Isami as a fellow "Adventurer in New Culinary Horizons" alongside his brother. Isami receives a score of 87, tying with Miyoko Hōjō for second place.

As the tension rises, it's now Takumi Aldini's turn to present his dish, Naporitan Curry Fettuccine. At first, the judges find his dish less impressive than his younger brother's creation. However, a single bite completely changes their perception. Takumi's curry, based on wheatless tamari soy sauce, instantly captivates their senses. He cleverly incorporates parmesan cheese into the pasta, which is then layered between outer layers infused with turmeric. The result is a harmonious fusion of Japanese and Italian cuisines. Orie Sendawara dubs Takumi another "Pioneer in the World of Food."

Isami watches the judges' reactions, reminded of the past when he envied the praise Takumi received from customers in Italy. Isami's attempts to improve his brother's dish ended up dampening the flavors and earned him a reprimand from their father. Takumi consoles his brother, comparing them to a half-moon Mezzaluna knife, suggesting that when they work together, Trattoria Aldini will become the best in Italy. Isami acknowledges Takumi's superiority once again, and Takumi achieves a score of 90, tying with Hisako Arato for second place.

With anticipation building, Alice Nakiri grows impatient and serves her dish before being officially announced. Her Thermal Sense Curry leaves the judges speechless. Even renowned food writer Shingo struggles to find words to describe the deliciousness of Alice's creation. Her dish showcases the principle of "thermal sense" in molecular gastronomy, combining ingredients of varying temperatures. It consists of a turmeric and foie gras mousse, a flash-frozen puree of potatoes and six types of cheeses, and a spice-flavored pie crust. Orie Sendawara hails Alice as a "Global Innovator." Alice receives an outstanding score of 95, with each judge awarding her 19 points.

Finally, it's Megumi's turn to present her dish, Monkfish Dobu-Jiru Curry. This traditional hot pot, passed down by fishermen, features goosefish as the main ingredient. Megumi adds sautéed monkfish liver, miso, and sake to create a flavorful curry base. She incorporates various vegetables representing the spirit of her hometown, aiming to convey its emotions through her dish. 

With Isami Aldini and Miyoko Hōjō tied for fourth place, the judges prepare to vote on who will advance to the main tournament. But there's one candidate left to present—Catalina.

Catalina steps forward with confidence, carrying her dish towards the judges. She presents a visually stunning creation, a Seafood Paella with a Catalonian twist. The aroma of saffron, garlic, and spices fills the air, captivating everyone in the arena. 

The dish features an array of seafood, including succulent shrimp, tender calamari, and juicy mussels, all cooked to perfection. The rice is infused with the flavors of the sea, blending harmoniously with the savory broth.

As the judges take their first bite, a wave of euphoria washes over them. They can't help but devour the dish with haste, eager to savor every exquisite flavor. The explosion of tastes and textures overwhelms their senses, leading them into a state of utter bliss. Each ingredient shines through, perfectly complementing the others to create a symphony of culinary delights. The judges are left in awe, experiencing a profound foodgasm that lingers on their palates.

After they finish, the judges' exchange impressed glances, unanimously recognizing the brilliance of Catalina's creation. They award her an exceptional score of 96, acknowledging her as one of the most talented and innovative chefs in the competition. The arena erupts in thunderous applause, celebrating Catalina's triumph and her remarkable culinary prowess.