Chapter 6: Unexpected Challenges and Culinary Ingenuity

As Catalina and Soma stepped through the eerie, haunted house-like door of the polar star dormitory, they were greeted by an unsettling sight. Black smoke billowed from one of the rooms, accompanied by a deafening crash that shook the floors. Suddenly, a horde of animals came charging towards them, causing a momentary panic.

Through the pipes, a loud voice reverberated, scolding someone about "Room 116" and warning them not to let game animals into their room. The voice threatened to flay them alive. Following the voice, a girl apologized as she desperately chased after the runaway animals. Moments later, another voice from the pipes chastised "Room 208" for turning an empty room into a smoker without permission. The person responded with apologies, fearing the consequences of their actions.

Just as the chaos seemed to escalate, an older woman entered the room, introducing herself as Daimido Fumio, the caretaker of the dormitory. She inquired about the ingredients they brought, to which some of the students seemed confused, unaware of the requirement stated on the flyer. Fumio-san explained that as part of the dorm application, they were required to prepare a meal for her as an examiner.

Soma, realizing he didn't have any ingredients on him, turned to Catalina for assistance. In frustration, she cursed in Spanish, regretting entrusting the paperwork to that "pinche pelirojo" (red-haired troublemaker). Soma, using his charm, sweet-talked Fumio-san, persuading her to allow them to use the leftover ingredients.

Catalina, determined to prove her culinary prowess, scanned the limited array of leftover ingredients available. Despite the challenge, she knew she could create something remarkable. Drawing inspiration from her rich Colombian and French heritage, she decided to whip up a dish that combined the elegance of French cuisine with her own Latin twist.

With her creative mind at work, Catalina began her culinary alchemy. She found a small piece of beef, a handful of mushrooms, and some onions. She skillfully sliced the beef into thin strips and marinated it with a blend of spices and a touch of Latin heat. The mushrooms were sautéed in garlic and butter until they developed a rich, earthy flavor. Meanwhile, the onions were caramelized to perfection, adding a sweet undertone to the dish.

As she gathered the remaining ingredients, Catalina's eyes fell upon a few stale baguettes. She transformed them into crispy crostinis by toasting them in the oven and brushing them with fragrant garlic-infused olive oil.

With her elements prepared, Catalina assembled her creation. She arranged the tender beef strips on the crostinis, topping them with a generous spoonful of savory mushrooms. The caramelized onions provided a delightful sweetness that complemented the other flavors.Just before serving, Catalina added a final touch—a drizzle of tangy Dijon mustard sauce, beautifully balancing the rich meat and earthy mushrooms.

With a confident smile, Catalina presented her masterpiece to Fumio-san. As the caretaker took a bite, her eyes widened in surprise. The harmonious blend of flavors, the impeccable texture, and the imaginative fusion of French and Latin influences dazzled her taste buds.

After witnessing Soma's impressive culinary feat, Fumio-san couldn't help but be impressed. She acknowledged his ingenuity and rewarded him with the key to room 305, a place where he could continue his culinary adventures within the walls of the Polar Star Dormitory.

Turning to Catalina, Fumio-san smiled warmly. "And for you, my dear, room 306 shall be your sanctuary," she declared, handing over the key. "May it be a place where you can infuse your Latin spirit into your culinary creations."

Catalina accepted the key with gratitude, her eyes gleaming with anticipation. She couldn't wait to transform her room into a vibrant haven, reflecting her unique personality and culinary aspirations.