Chapter 14: Sizzling Steaks and Soothing Baths: Bonds Strengthened

Returning to the resort, exhaustion tugged at the students' weary bodies, and they hoped for a moment of respite. However, their hopes were dashed when Hitoshi Sekimori, the camp instructor, delivered a surprising announcement—they were tasked with cooking 50 Beef Steak Meals for the hotel's guests, along with preparing their own meals.

The competitive fire within Sōma and Catalina ignited at the prospect of a challenge. A mischievous glint passed between them as they silently agreed to turn this task into a friendly rivalry. 

They positioned themselves side by side, knives at the ready, and with a playful smirk, Catalina whispered, "Let's see who finishes first, Sōma. Prepare to be defeated!"

The verbal smackdown commenced as they diced, seasoned, and seared the steaks with lightning speed. The air was thick with the sound of sizzling beef and the clashing of knives. With each passing moment, their determination grew, and their competitive banter echoed through the kitchen.

In the end, Catalina managed to edge out Sōma by a single steak, completing her portion just moments before him. Both had finished well before the rest of the students, leaving them astonished and impressed by their efficiency.

Before they could fully revel in their victory, Takumi Aldini, drawn to the commotion, interrupted with a grin. "Next time, I will finish first!"However, before Takumi could continue, Hitoshi Sekimori's stern voice boomed through the kitchen, "Enough chatter! Back to work, Aldini!"

Takumi was silenced, but Catalina couldn't resist leaving a parting wink.

With the cooking duties complete, Sōma and Catalina decided to take a break and enjoy the hotel's hot spring. They agreed to go separately, hoping to soak away their fatigue. 

As Catalina entered the female section, she caught sight of Erina Nakiri, but to her surprise, she simply ignored Erina's presence. When Erina made a snide comment about her speed, Catalina dismissed her with a wave of her hand. "You're not worth the trouble, princess," she retorted, causing Erina to fume with anger and swiftly leave, determined not to be contaminated by Catalina's presence.

On his way to the hot spring, Sōma coincidentally bumped into Erina Nakiri. Their encounter was brief but impactful, leaving an impression on both of them. Sōma continued on, entering the bath area where he found Gin Dōjima already bathing. The renowned chef praised Sōma for his impressive speed in completing the task, mentioning that only Satoshi Isshiki had achieved such a feat the previous year. The conversation flowed, and the topics shifted to Erina and Catalina.

Gin expressed his belief that Erina would become the greatest masterpiece ever created in Tōtsuki, but he couldn't help but express surprise at Catalina's unique persona. Nonetheless, he wished Sōma good luck on his journey at Tōtsuki, acknowledging his potential.

After their refreshing baths, Sōma and Catalina met up with the remaining members of the Polar Star in Zenji Marui's room. Though fatigue weighed heavily on their friends, the duo's energy remained intact. Megumi voiced her doubts, but Sōma and Catalina immediately reassured her, emphasizing that their success was a result of her indispensable help and unwavering enthusiasm.