Chapter 23: Karaage Revival

After a long plane ride, Catalina arrived back in Japan, eager to join Sōma in his latest culinary adventure. She hurriedly made her way to the Sumire Shopping District, where Sōma had temporarily reopened Yukihira Diner to combat the decline caused by Mozuya, a popular karaage chain shop.

As the evening descended, Catalina stepped into the bustling Yukihira Diner, immediately catching Sōma's attention. A mischievous smile formed on his face as he walked up to her, causing her cheeks to flush.

"Hey, Catalina, glad you made it! Let me introduce you to my friend Mayumi," Sōma said, leading her over to Mayumi, with her shy demeanor and adorable smile, which reminded her of Megumi. Catalina instantly felt a connection and couldn't resist reaching out to Mayumi.

"Hi, Mayumi! I'm Catalina. It's so nice to meet you," she said, her voice filled with genuine warmth. Mayumi's eyes widened, feeling a sense of relief at Catalina's friendly demeanor.

As the evening progressed, Catalina listened intently as Sōma explained their mission to revive the shopping district with a competing karaage recipe. They had already done reconnaissance at Mozuya and met its CEO, Kinu Nakamozu.

The next day, the Sumire Karaage Roll was set to launch, and Catalina joined Sōma and the team at Yukihira Diner to make final preparations. The kitchen buzzed with energy as they worked tirelessly to perfect their recipe.

Suddenly, Catalina noticed a group of middle schoolers passing by the shop, their eyes sparkling with excitement. An idea sparked in her mind.

"Sōma, what if we make the karaage easily portable? Something that people can enjoy while walking?" she suggested, her eyes gleaming with enthusiasm.

Sōma's eyes lit up, realizing the brilliance of Catalina's idea. Together, they incorporated her concept into the final touches of their karaage recipe, creating a Sumire Karaage Roll that was both delicious and convenient.

On the launch day, Kinu Nakamozu received a sales report indicating a significant drop in Mozuya's profit. Intrigued, she ventured to the Sumire Shopping District to investigate and was met by Sōma.

Sōma explained how the Sumire Karaage Roll had not only revived the district's businesses but also fostered unity and cooperation among them. Catalina handed Kinu a roll, and as she tasted it, she couldn't deny its appeal.

Kinu realized the power of the shopping district's unity and acknowledged their victory. However, her triumph was short-lived when she received an infuriated call from Etsuya, demanding an explanation for the district's financial state.Soma and Catalina didn't realize they had caught Etsuya's attention but also stirred his ire. As the day came to an end, Soma felt a sense of satisfaction. The Sumire Karaage Roll had not only breathed life back into the shopping district but also brought people together through their love for food.