22 Daniel

Taylor and I were walking back when it finally hit me.
It was all becoming real, too real. He put his hand on Taylor's shoulder and stopped her for a moment.
"Taylor, I know your mother and father trained you well. I'm not disputing that and I'm not attempting to take anything from it... however, there's a difference between training for war and surviving it. Fight or flight isn't just words, it's very real.
Please don't take this the wrong way but there's a reason men are in fire fights and women are not. Women are ruled by emotion while men are more rational.
What you are about to experience is something few women have. I need you to remember what you've learned and keep your wits about you.
There are several scenarios that could play out. We're all in and out without a hitch, they could have a contingency we aren't aware of and we could lose lives, including your own. There's also a possibility your mother may not be alive and you'll have to look beyond your own pain to save the others. "

Taylor's brows furrowed at the realization and it pains me to see her. I was so hard pressed to get Tracy back that I was willing to do absolutely anything to accomplish that.
I've compromised myself letting my own emotions rule and forcing everything I've learned and been through to be cast aside.
Taylor finally looked over at me for a moment, as if she's trying to figure out something. Eyes closed as she shook her head.

" I don't know whether I should be offended or glad about you keeping it real. I suppose I could have underestimated the gravity of this. You're right, my emotional side just wants our mom home safe. After walking in on dad dead in our own fucking kitchen..." Taylor seeming to choke the last bit out.
"I've been so angry for so long, especially when mom came up missing. The more I think about it, I realize, no, I know for a fact mom would want those kids home and in all honesty despite my own pain I don't want those families to suffer the same fate. Listening to what you said, I know now what I have to do. I have to put these children first and I guess hope that my sister and I get our happy ending too. "

Her words as they sink in, both breaking my heart and bringing me a bit of solace.
"We'll then, Taylor, I believe I may have underestimated you and I've never been more happy to have been wrong. You may very well be the exception.
Know that it eases my mind as we start the next phase.
This... This what your father fought and died for. It was an unfortunate price he paid for what he believed in. You and Tasha his legacy. To carry on that legacy and continue his life's work is something you would read from a book."

Her heartwarming smile might just be the only thing that will help me carry on. It eases my mind in what might be my last mission. I don't know what the future holds but I do know that for the first time this has become real for me as well. I must admit this is personal and remind myself to keep my wits about me. I'll make sure those children go home and their captors eliminated. I'll also make sure that no matter what, on my life, Taylor will go home.

A/N Like it so far? Please let me know 🙂