33. The School

Juan constructed a school beside their house. It was a two-story building equipped with gym and swimming pool, a center for rehabilitation of drug users, a reformation room for victims of white slavery, juvenile delinquents and other wayward.

An executive room is reserved for high-end characters who decided to go back to the fold of righteousness. The School Board consisted of Juan as the chairman, Lin and William as co-chairmen, while three members came from the urban poor and federation of junkshop owners and the youth sector.

The staff of the rehabilitation have special training in drug and alcohol management, while a separate staff would handle big time criminals who decided to return to the fold of righteousness. No less than the President of the country and his first lady were invited during the ribbon cutting ceremonies. The air was festive. Dragon dance was held to ward off the evil spirits, to the consternation of the damned legion, but they could not do anything for Juan and the devil's boss have an agreement which would last for twenty years, after which Juan's soul joined the damned.

The school became the talk of the city. Many drug addicts were rehabilitated. Young girls who were forced into prostitution were saved and received psycho-medical attention in the center. Coddlers of extortion and other community were persuaded to stop their activities or face the force of the law.

It was during this time that Juan's family and friends advised him to find a girl and settle down. There were many beautiful girls who were waiting for Juan to choose one of them, one of whom was Leila.

She was the daughter of the mayor. A Yale graduate and of the beautiful girls selected to represent the country in Miss Universe beauty pageant. A Chinoy beauty, Leila could be a good match for the bachelor Juan, so a blind date was arranged by Lin, the mayor's friend.

The couple had a dinner date at a famous Chinese resto. Juan admired the girl for being modest and religious, a character quite rare among girls who belonged to the elite. While the couple were having pleasant time dancing, Juan saw a damned spirit disguised as waiter replaced their wine.

Excuse me, Leila. He escorted the girl back to their table. Then Juan told Leila that he would get her a mild drink.

Martini would do, she said. Juan got the bottle of wine brought by the spirit and followed him to the pantry.

Who ordered you to bring this wine? demanded Juan as he held the devil's arm. The devil could not free himself as Juan tightened his hold.

Who ordered you?

Mephistopheles. Now free my arm.

Yes, I will, but Juan snared him with his flaming chain and dragged him outside.

This will teach you to leave me in peace. Juan spun him like a disc and whisked him back to his infernal pit. Juan went back to Leila with the martini. The night faded until Juan told Leila to forgive him for, he had an appointment the following day. Juan accompanied Leila to her house. It was the first and last date of Juan,

The memory of the past when Juan was but ten years kept coming back. And this could have prevented him from falling in love, for he had fallen in love before. To him she was his first love.