16. Juan's Boyhood

Before his freak accident Juan had a very colorful misadventure at home and in the school. As a child Juan wanted to fly like "angels" during Easter day. When they were proclaimed angelitas as part of the annual fund-raising tradition of the church.

Juan thought of making wings from the cardboard box, tied them on his back, climb atop a chair and without hesitation spread his wings and jumped.

His chin hit the corner of the table and fell unconscious. When he woke up, he was on the emergency table of the hospital, his mother beside him.

After his brief sojourn in the second life, Juan woke up and knew that he was back home, for he could smell the familiar smell of the creek at the back of the shanty. And not far from their house is the dumpsite where his friends would spend their time rummaging through mountains of trashes.

This was the seat of his boyhood which for the moment he could not trade off to heavenly comfort. Then he saw the coconut tree where he had fallen. He smiled and thought of an idea to amuse himself. Suddenly he floated in the air until he reached the bunch of young coconut fruits and brought it down.

I love this, said Juan and carried the nuts on his back without much effort.

His friends did not notice his arrival. For they were playing cara y cruz at the back of the trading station for recovered junks.

Juan called Lito who was about to spin the coins.

Lito, can I join you?

Lito looked back and saw his friend.

Juan! I thought you were at the hospital and...

Dead? Added Juan. The rest of the children stared at Juan and began milling around him.

The resurrected Juan, said one of them.

How's in Heaven, Juan? Did you meet St Peter? asked Caloy, the bully of the group.

Juan looked at him with compassion and suddenly Caloy became meek as a lamb. Everybody was surprised but, Juan broke the silence.

Well, I'm back! Can I join you, guys? Here, take these young nuts.

Sure, Lito said. Come on.

Thanks St Peter, muttered Juan as he winked at Caloy.

So, Juan joined his pals as if nothing unusual had happened. Afterwards he went to the dumpsite to stake his claim.

The dump trucks brought new trash which was unloaded and pillaged by the waiting crowd like rare treasure.

Juan was able to gather a sack load of empty plastic bottles and tin cans. Before sundown he headed to the junk store of a china man to sell his "treasure".

There goes the boy who rose from the dead, said a woman playing lucky nine.

Is it true he died when he fell from the coconut tree and banged his head on the rock?

A lucky boy, quipped a younger woman who pulled out her two cards, an 8 Spade and Ace. Lucky nine!

Lucky like you? Where did you get those cards Lucy? Asked Mike.

Don't tempt me, Mike, answered Lucy. I'm playing clean.

You bet, lucky girl, if you want to rise from the dead like Juan.

(laughter)

Mga demonyo! shouted Lucy.

Just pay my bet, you suckers.

San Juan! Jeered the gamblers.Guess who'll be the next winner. Juan just smiled and continued walking as he headed to the shop.

Suddenly two motorcycle riders alighted from their bike and went to the shop. One of them pulled out a gun and levelled it at the Chinese' face, tossing a backpack.

Out with your money, old man. The Chinese was shaking as he opened his safe and collected the bundles of money and put it in the backpack.

Juan was about to unload his junk when he saw the two robbers poke the gun at the China man. He raised his hand and the criminal's gun turned into a plastic toy gun. The robbers were surprised and run to their bike, leaving the stolen money.

Juan picked up the pack and gave it to the store owner.

Get back your money, Chua, and pay my junk.

The old man, who was shaking earlier, could not help embrace Juan.

Thank you, Juan. Thank you. Do you want to work with me, Juan? You'll be my assistant here. You don't have to rummage around. I'll pay you five hundred pesos a month.

It was a lot of money to Juan. He could help his mother and siblings. He too can continue his studies.

Yes, Chua. When shall I start?

Today and because you saved me from those bad men, I'll reward you, too. Here, take these two hundred pesos and give it to your mother.

Yes, I will, but first let me sort out the empty plastics and other junks.

Since then Juan spent more time with recycled junks than with his boyhood escapade. He became the trusted right-hand man of Chua whose business prospered, thanks to human waste.

Chua's offer suddenly changed Juan's life.

How can I go back to my childhood past time? Juan asked himself. Now I have no time to play with my friends in the fields, climb trees, swim in the river, or ring the church bells when Aton the half blind bell ringer known for his big balls were not around to drive us away from the belfry, as if it was his enchanted tower.

But with this work, my family would have something to eat, and I could help my brother and sister go back to school.