Epilogue. The Parting

It was the longest funeral march in the community. Rich and poor joined the march. Even the collectors of junks stopped their activity to witness the burial of a man who was like him, and even after he inherited a fortune, Juan would be remembered for his noble heart for helping the poor and the victims of drug trafficking and sex slavery and criminals who returned to the path of righteousness after turning away from their mistakes.

The casket was silver white encrusted with mother pearl shells. Juan would be buried beside his father in La Loma.

It was a beautiful afternoon; soft wind was blowing from the west. Everything was fine, as if no good soul has passed away. Juan's mother was composed but sad. Before his passing, Juan had described his brief sojourn in heaven, known as the Perfect City, which he could not appreciate for he preferred his earthly life.

And how St Peter tried to convince Juan by leading him to the city of the damned. Not all damned souls were evil, for there were some whose fault was extreme passion. Juan told his mother that when he died, he would visit her in a dream and tell her where he was. And this was the reason why Mrs. Cruz was composed for she knew where Juan was.

Rest in peace, son. Thanks for leaving us in good hands with the living mortals whom you have saved from condemnation in the city of the damned.

She placed a white rose on the casket. Jun and Nene likewise placed white roses, for Juan remained chased and pure of heart.