21. The Fallen Spirits Strike Back

Since their father died, Juan would wake up ahead of his mother and siblings and prepare the breakfast. He would drive Nene to school for her swimming practice using Chua's Toyota pickup which Juan used in their business. But Juan's mother was already awake and beat him to the pan.

Mother, it's barely 4 o'clock and you're awake already.

Don't bother yourself, son. I have a bad dream, Juan. I saw Nene, but Juan hushed her up.

Mother, don't worry. Everything will be alright.

I don't know, I have a feeling, oh, Juan, is it a repeat of your experience?

Mother, goodness will prevail over evil. I'll drive Nene to school.

Please stay with her just for today. I'll be at the store. Tell Lito to report today at the store.

Alright, mother, just relax. God will not let us down.

Nene came out of her room. Good morning, mother. Hi, Kuya. Driving me today? Our practice starts earlier.

Yes, I know. I told your brother to watch over your practice this day.

Nene was surprised, but relented.

Hope you teach me some new swimming techniques, Kuya.

Sure, like swimming in the esteros while retrieving some floating plastic bottles? Joked Juan, an illusion to his practice of retrieving junks in the esteros with his friends which they later sold to Chua the junk trader.

Mother, please tell Jun to visit you after his class. Is he still sleep?

Yes. He studied until 2 o'clock. He's preparing for board exam in accountancy.

Yes, mother, said Juan. Much tougher than LET exam. After breakfast Juan and Nene drove out, stopping at Lito's house.

Report to the shop while I accompany Nene. Mother will be there.

Ok, guy, said Lito. Juan stayed outside the swimming pool while Nene changed to her swimsuit at the dressing room. Just then Juan saw one of William's bodyguards and he remembered his mother's dream.

Juan stayed behind a mahogany tree and waited for the fallen spirit to pass by. It did not take long for the fallen spirit to appear. From the tree Nene appeared.

Looking for me? said Juan in the shape of his sister. The fallen spirit was caught unaware. But before he could answer, Juan snared him with a flaming chain around his neck. The fallen turned himself into his true image, a grotesque damned spirit with bloody eyes, forked tongue and protruding fangs. Nene transfigured into Juan and tightened the chain around the devil.

I have prepared for this, said Juan as he dragged the damned spirit and cast him back to the city of the damned.

Never return to this land. Then Juan went to the pool where Nene was about to compete in free style stroke. She saw her brother at the gate and waved at him. Nene finished second but she was very happy.

That's great, Nene! With more practice, you'll perfect your style. I've called Jun to pick you up later. I've some business to settle. See you, Nene.

Nene went to the locker room to change dress, but she was surprised to see a dark figure inside. Nene, come with me. Your brother told me to watch over you. Nene knew that the man was lying. It was the second bodyguard of William.

Suddenly Juan appeared with flaming chain and snared the damned spirit, dragging him out into the air and cast him out like unwanted log.

Be gone, useless spirit, and the City of the Damned swallowed the damned spirit.

Come on, Nene. We'll fetch Jun. mother is waiting at the shop.

Tonight, I will tell you a story about our maternal grandmother whom I fondly called my nymph. You were still young when she passed away. She had lived in our ancestral land in the province before our parents decided to move to this city.

Do tell me about her, Kuya. Perhaps my interest in swimming could be traced to her, for you said you and grandmother used to wash and bathe in... what was the name of that spring, Kuya?

Butawan. This spring provides the people with the cleanest and the purest water in our place. Even if you accidentally gulped some water while swimming, which happened to me many times, you won't get sick. After their dinner and kitchen chores, Nene egged Juan to start his story.

Listen up then, Nene.

Okay, Kuya. I'm all ears.