17. Juan's Fortune

For twenty years Juan had done nothing but received and sorted out junks of all sizes and shapes, colors and smells. Juan had memorized the names of all junk collectors and sellers, young and old, men and women whose livelihood depended on junks at the dumpsite or in the street waste bins. Juan had served Chua faithfully until his dying day.

In the evening Juan went to college and finished B.S. Education, for he planned to open a reformation school for ex-cons and others who had brushes with laws.

One hot summer day Juan was called by the trader in his house.

Juan, for twenty years you have served me faithfully. My business has grown and you have been part of my success. I cannot forget the day when you saved me from criminals. Now I am old and sick. I have no direct heirs because I spent my life attending to my business.

Juan was listening intently. I'll take you to the doctor, said Juan.

No, just listen to me, said Chua. Do you see this document, Juan? This is my last will and testament. I'm leaving this to you, but you must open it after I died.

The old man was breathing hard and Juan could feel that he was getting weaker.

You are not dying yet, said Juan. You are different from others who have cheated my people. You are not a damned soul, Chua.

The old man smiled. I've heard about your having returned from the dead. Is it true, Juan?

Juan looked at the old man.

I cannot lie to you, Chua. I've been to heaven and hell and the reason St Peter allowed me to go back was that I want to be with my family and enjoy my boyhood. But most of all I want to save man from their evil ways. My wish was granted.

Chua looked at Juan.

I admire you good intention, Juan, but you must understand that man possesses yin and yang—the opposing forces in us, the good and bad. Juan, we can never change man because the external circle that surrounds yin yang is beyond our power.

Juan knew that the old man was right.

Is man beyond change because he is basically evil?

That is the belief of old Chinese school, said Chua. But I believe that man can be reformed

He can be educated, added Juan who had finished a college degree through the patronage of Chua.

And Juan revealed his plan.

I want to put up a school devoted to the reformation of man, at least in our place. The criminals, the prostitutes, all other who want to side with yang. I will share my experience in the underworld. I'm sure they will change once they realize the morbid punishment that damned spirits suffer in the City of the Damned.

And if they refuse to change? asked Chua.

Then. Like what St Peter did to me, I will usher them to hell and leave them there if they persisted in their evil ways.

Chua thought Juan was trying to entertain him. But Juan told him that this was not entertainment. Chua was surprised.

How did you know what I'm thinking of, Juan?

Through the power of goodness, replied Juan.

Chua looked out of the window and saw the sky darkened and then turned to blinding brightness. He knew his yin yang and he closed his eyes, lips half smiling.

Juan understood and muttered: travel peacefully, old man. The Perfect City is waiting for you. He opened the last will and testament.

"Be it Known to All Men. I, Chua Tiu, of legal age, convey all my material property and wealth to Juan Cruz, my faithful caretaker, and his heirs, and sum of ten million pesos in my saving accounts in five banks (etc.). that I have executed this last will and testament through my own volition and have affixed my signature herein as affiant. Signed in the presence of Atty. Leo Caglonsod, in Tondo Manila, this 2nd day of March, 20__.

Juan stared at the documentfor a long time, not knowing whether to be happy over his fortune or be sad forhis second father had lefthim