38. The Graduation

The mission school of Juan, like any other schools, held graduation exercises. Clients who have passed the test would be declared ready to graduate. Unlike the regular school, there was no fixed date for the graduation. Drug users who were declared rehabilitated of substance and passed the social reintegration tests conducted by the staff would be allowed to leave the school. The school entered into partnership with a support agency so that the clients, if they were young kids, could go back to school, or were offered jobs if they have family or wanted to work.

Victims of white slavery received psycho-medical treatment and were offered decent jobs to forget their traumatic experiences. Former thugs were rehabilitated and given jobs or livelihood capital. There were also local leaders who were convinced by Juan to go back to the fold of righteousness and be the true leaders of the people.

For almost two decades Juan tried to save hundreds of families who depended on the collection of junks by buying their goods at fair price or lending them small capital and which they could use without interest. On the 20th year of the existence of the school, Juan was saddened by the impending reckoning with the damned angel. There were victims who must be freed from the clutch of the evil spirits or they would join the damned.

He did not know when Beelzebub or other fallen angels would fetch him. Would heaven abandon him? Juan labored with his mistake which he would pay dearly with his soul.

I'm sorry, St Peter, if I had turned you down. You were right. Earth is a place of suffering and temptation. I should have stayed in the Perfect City, but my family, what would happen to them if I chose to think of my sole happiness?

We are a family-centered people. Good or bad, we can't just abandon our family and my people. We were a race of a contradiction, proud and passionate, religious but we are ready to tolerate or forgive immoral deeds. I'm sorry St Peter for I have failed you.

Today it was graduation day but Juan's thoughts have drifted away from the graduation rites which was about to start. The graduating class was neatly seated at the center of the ceremonial hall while waiting for the speaker and other guests. Their families and friends were beaming with happiness, though some were sad for they were uncertain of their safety. But Juan had assured them that he would not abandon them. Just then the emcee announced the arrival of the guest speaker, no other than the secretary of the DSWD.

The respective head of the school rehabilitation/reformation departments presented the number of clients who successfully passed the treatment/counseling and were declared fit for social reintegration.

As chairman of the school board, Juan confirmed the graduation of 50 candidates, namely 18 substance users, 15 former white slaves, 10 thugs, 5 kidnappers, and two mafia bosses.

The Guest Speaker extolled the achievement of the school in saving the victims and even perpetrators of crimes that were slowly eroding the social foundation of the country.

Today we witness the mission of your chairman, said the speaker. His mission is not just to rid our society of criminals who have infiltrated almost all human activities and even institution like the government. His mission is to guide you to the path of righteousness, to stamp out evil activities. We must recognize the fact that the war between the forces of light and darkness did not end after the fallen angels were driven out of heaven. We must not allow ourselves to be the victims or agents of diabolic subjugation. We must resist and defeat the evil master. We...

Suddenly the hall turned dark, lightning flashed outside.