28. The Mayor's Plan

It's an open knowledge that a mayor wields considerable power in his turf. Nothing slips fast the mayor's radar without alerting him through his loyal minion. Any business deal, legal or illegal, that reaches his attention sends his men to his lair to report the matter.

When he learned that his men who visited Juan returned empty handed and even taunted by Juan's right hand, the boss was fuming mad. The lame excuse of the mayor's men was that Juan was not around.

Is that so? doubted the mayor who believed that Juan was hiding.

Did you not spy at his office?

No, boss, said the mayor's hireling.

Just as I thought, you fumbling idiots. Go back and tell Juan to see me at my home tomorrow evening.

Why not in our office, boss?

Are you nuts? The Citizen's Anti-Corruption Group is monitoring me. Besides, tell Juan that I'm inviting him to a dinner. Some famous chef of Chinese menu will take care of the different courses. I know that food is Juan's weakness.

Juan received the mayor's invitation in his shop. He remembered what Peter had said about Beelzebub's plan to snare him. Perhaps this is it, but how can I resist Chinese menu? I'll cross the bridge when I reach it.