Chapter 2 - Unable To Duel

[Word count - 958]

Present time...

Location - (L/N) Residence, (Y/N)'s Room

Your POV

Hi there, my name is (Y/N) (L/N), and I'm just a normal duelist here in Heartland city. My deck is centered around dragons. It was given to me by my mother, who apparently disappeared on me when I was little. So now, I live with my father, which is not bad, but something tells me that he is against the idea of me dueling.

It is morning and I got changed into my school uniform. I grabbed my deck and made my way downstairs where I found my father in the living room.

"Good morning, father." I said.

"Ah, good morning, son. You ready for school?" He asked.

"That's right, and after school, Kazuki and I are going to go to the duel park to hangout." I told him.

I can tell that it was something my father didn't want to hear. Why? Because it's related to duel monsters, that's why.

"Now son, you know how I feel about you dueling." He said, beginning to sound stern.

"Really dad? This again?" I replied.

"I'm just looking out for you, son." He said. "I don't want you to disappear like your mother did..."

My father likes to pull that card. I'm pretty much all that he has left. But before I could say anything, I heard the sound of my best friend from outside.

"(Y/N)! Are you ready?"

"Oh, that's Kazuki. I better get going." I said as I made my way to the door.

"Alright, have a good day, son." He said before I headed out.
_____________________________________________

A few moments later...

Location - Heartland City, Downtown

Kazuki and I both go to this duel school named Blazier. It's an incredible school, and I wouldn't think to go anywhere else. As Kazuki and I were walking, I told him about what my dad said this morning.

"Honestly, bro, you can't let your father's words get to you." He said.

"Yeah, but no matter what I say or do, he has a habit of bringing up my missing mother." I replied.

Kazuki let out a sigh.

"Well, your mother was one of the best duelist back in the day." He said. "After losing to Maxie, the national championship, she disappeared and never appeared in public again."

"Yeah, she was..."

"And your deck, it's the one she used to use, right?" He asked.

"That's right." I said as I pulled it out and looked at it for a moment. "I think my mom knows that being a duelist is in my future, and gave it to me."

It was my turn to let out a sigh.

"But... I don't think I can ever tell my father that..."

Kazuki ended up smacking me upside the head for being so negative.

"Dude! What was that for?!"

"Bruh, you were being negative, especially on a good day like today." He said.

I blinked in confusion.

"Today? Is something going on I should know about?" I asked.

Kazuki sighed once again.

"Dude, this week is tryouts for the duel team for the school battle." He said.

That actually did slip my mind for a while. Good thing I have a good friend like Kazuki to remind me.

"Oh yeah, now I remember." I chuckled. "Thanks for reminding me."

"Anytime, bro. Anytime."
_____________________________________________

Near the end of the day...

Location - Heartland City, Duel Park

Here I am, walking home from another school. I began to make my way to the duel park. However, even though he was supposed to join me, Kazuki couldn't tag along. Why is that? Because our teacher gave him attention for not turning in his homework last night. Kazuki is a good friend and all, but sometimes, he can be a bit... forgetful.

I arrived at the duel park and I looked at the countless people dueling against each other. Seeing them as put a smile on my face, and it makes me want to duel someone, even if my dad is against it. Little did I know, that wish was going to come true.

Towards my left, I noticed a duel going on. The one dueling was a female with pink eyes and long purple hair. I can't help but think that I've seen her somewhere before, though. As for her opponent, it's the current national championship, Kishima Kai. I can tell from the girl's face that this is the one duel she can't win.

"It's the end of the line for you!" Kai declared while pointing at the sky.

"Go! Psychic Dragon Overlord!"

The dragon let out a terrifying roar and the poor girl couldn't take her eyes off of it. It attacks her LP's directly, going for game.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"

??? LP: 900 -> 0

The duel ends in Kai's victory. He walked over to the girl and grabbed her deck. He looked through it, and let out a disappointing sigh.

"Seriously? This is your deck?" He asked, glaring down at the girl.

"Y-Yeah..."

"This is pathetic! You don't have anything here worth taking!"

Kai threw her whole deck on the ground, causing them to scatter everywhere. I got mad and made my way over to them.

"Hey! You can't do that to her deck!" I said.

"Why do you care?" Kai asked. "This doesn't concern you."

"It does now!"

"Oh really?" Kai asked, raising an eyebrow. "And what are you going to do about it?"

I pulled out my deck and placed it in front of his face.

"Get ready, because I'm going to duel you next!"

To be continued

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you guys liked it and I'll see you in the next one.