Prologue

Prologue

If I were to pluck a flower in a garden full of blooming flowers, I would choose a Rose. Not because of the beauty it has, but because of the thorns it holds. Some people might whine about the spike it had and the blood it gave, but I basked in the pain of its thorns because It symbolize that in order to have the beauty, you must be prepared for the pain.

But some are too numb to feel pain, they pluck the Rose only because of its beauty.

Just like him.

Nilingon ko ang lalakeng kinamumuhian ko . . . ngunit sa hindi maipaliwanag na kadahilanan ay siyang nagpapatibok din sa puso ko. Siya'y nakatingin sa malayo at nakakunot ang noo, mukhang malalim ang iniisip. Sinong mag-aakalang ang dati kong kinamumuhiang ekspresyon sa mukha niya ay ang siyang magiging paborito kong pagmasdan? Baliw na talaga ako.

"Stop staring Beauty, I might assume you like me."

Napatuwid ako sa pagkakaupo at ibinalik ang tingin sa librong binabasa.

"How many times do I have to tell you that I have a name? It's Arabelle. Arabelle." Madiin kong sabi habang nakatingin sa librong binabasa.

"I prefer Beauty, it reminds me of you."

Parang tambol kung makatibok ang tanga kong puso. Humigpit ang pagkakahawak ko sa lapis at piniling huwag nalang magsalita. The less I talk, the less mistake I make, the less mistake I do, the less my heart will react. I have no plans in fostering my feelings towards him, as much as possible, I would get rid of it at instant.

"Natameme ka." He chuckled.

Shit! Can't he just shut-up and give my heart a fucking rest from running so fast? I feel like I'm about to lose my oxygen here!

"Why? Do you feel the "butterflies" in your stomach?" He taunted.

"Shut the fuck up. I'm reading." Mariin kong sabi, hindi tinatanggal ang atensyon sa mga salitang nakaukit sa papel na binabasa ko.

He roared a laughter, and I felt the goosebumps on my skin. His laugh was so dangerous, so husky, so . . . sexy. I can't believe this is how far my feelings had travelled! Even his laugh makes me flutter!

I squeezed my eyes shut at the mere thought of my feelings towards him. I then felt the tip of his fingers on my chin, lifting it up, my eyes fluttered open at the electricity of his touch, our eyes clashed and the amusement it had earlier was now long gone while staring at my eyes.

His stare became intense but I didn't back down. I know I'm about to get drown but before I let myself sink, I will take him with me.

"You like my Beauty? Too bad, the Beast can't have it." I said bravely.

I thought that would enrage him but I was wrong. A slow, sensual smirk glided his lips upwards, my heart sank at the mere action.

"Why? Still waiting for the prince charming?" He was provoking me. He knew how much I hate prince charming shit. I scoffed.

"If it means getting out from this prison, then I'll wait for that fucking prince." I spat.

The amused smirk popped off his face. Fury started to contort on his face as his eyes blaze with anger and I knew I hit the spot. That very sensitive spot. Great, what happen to the "less I talk, less mistake I make" shit I always narrate to myself?

"You will forever be imprisoned here and you can't do anything about it unless she comes back. You understand?" His voice was threatening and I shivered from the impact.

Right. I almost forgot why I was here. Why I was imprisoned here. Why I was forced to live here. And why I am still alive and breathing until now.

It was all because of Her.

The princess of this Castle and the one that owns his heart.

Sometimes I wonder, if I didn't have the same beauty as her, would he still choose me? If I was not beautiful as her, would he still forgive me? Or would he kill me from the intrusion I made? Will I . . . stand a chance for his heart?

I never did. It has always been her.

And even if he let me in, I wouldn't choose to go in despite my heart thumping in frustration. Logic would always be ahead of me and I will never ever admit to liking my Captor. For me, he would always be the Beast that will never be deserving to see the Beauty of Rose. He was meant to be caged, to be in the shadow and to live with his silhouette for the rest of his life.

And I will always be in the light, meant to enjoy the radiant of the sun, to run and be free, to be happy and be loved by my Knight.

Except that I was locked in the darkness with the Beast, forced to live with his shadow, kept hidden in a silhouette and was chained by my stupid heart.

🥀