XXXIX

Her

"Hi po! Fan na fan po ako ng sulat niyo!"

My heart melted when a teenage girl in her school uniform said that excitedly while holding my book on her hand.

"Really?" Nakangiti kong sabi at inilahad ang kamay para mapirmahan ko ang libro niya.

Excited niyang inilapag ang libro sa lamesa. Marami pa sa likod niya ang nakapila at nag-aantay na maka-usap ako. It was like a dream come true- to have people supporting your hard work after so many years of trying and trying and failing.

Beauty and the Beast

Napangiti ako nang makita ang librong dala-dala niya. This was the very first book that became popular. Dahil sa librong ito, nakilala ang mga gawa ko. It was like a stepping stone to my career.

"Grabe po 'yung iyak ko kay Adamant!" Kuwento niya kaya natawa ako at binuksan ang libro.

To all the girls who haven't found their prince charming yet, don't worry, a Beast will come and claim you.

That was my dedication. Pinirmahan ko na ang baba ng libro gamit ang pangalan ko. AMS- Arabelle Madson Solace.

"Author, bakit hindi si Adamant ang nakatuluyan ni Ara?" Aniya kaya mas lalo akong natawa.

"Iyon ang plot." I winked at her.

Napasimangot siya at kunwari suminghot.

"May season 2 po ba?"

"Secret!" Tawa ko.

May nagreklamo na sa likod niya kaya kahit na ayaw pa nitong umalis ay napilitan itong magpaalam.

I smiled and welcomed the second person. She handed me the book and we had a chitchat with of course, her favorite book- Beauty and the beast.

Five years had past ever since I released Beauty and the Beast but a lot of people still had a hangover from its ending. I can't blame them, I also didn't quite like the ending but that's how the story should flow.

Limang taon na rin simula nang iwan ko ang Casa Cantatio. Now, I lived in the noisy city of Manila. It was chaotic, loud, and crowded, but it was fun and entertaining.

Although a part of me still misses my province. The wide green grass. The tall forest trees. The white sand. The calm see. The cave. The starfish. The horse. The gothic mansion. Him. My home.

Pero kailangan ko iyong iwan.

"Nandiyan ka nanaman at tulala sa bintana."

Nanatili ang tingin ko sa labas. My stare remained on the vibrant city of Manila— the tall buildings, the noisy honks of car from the road, the city lights twinkling despite the dark surrounding, the moon shining on the sky, it was as if the world continued to run regardless of what happened in your life.

I wrapped the blanket around me and grabbed a cup of tea beside me. Humigop ako noon at dinama ang kaingayan ng nasa baba ko. It was soothing and comforting, to know that there are millions of people out there, living their own life, some were celebrating, some were grieving, some were living their normal life, some were barely surviving— just by the thought of people in their own lives gave me comfort, maybe because I always imagine he might be one of them? Living his own life.

"Napakasad girl mo naman."

I rolled my eyes when she disturbed my peace once again.

"Shut up, Rori." Paos kong sabi, hindi siya binabalingan.

"Ano bang plano mo sa buhay mo?" Narinig ko ang kaluskos sa likod, siguro'y naghahanap siya ng makakain.

Hindi ko siya pinansin at nanatili ang mata sa bintana. Rori was the very first girl friend I made here in Manila- the time where I was barely adjusting to the new surrounding. We met four years, she was a fan of my book- Beauty and the Beast when it was just starting. And maybe, it wasn't just that that we became close. Taga Casa Cantatio rin siya kaya kami nagkalapit.