Chapter XVIII

Him

Arabelle's vocal cords was damaged.

The doctor said that in order to retain her voice, surgery would be needed. It was a rare case, he said, but the possibility of it happening was because she kept on screaming for days until it damaged her cords.

And I made an oath to myself that once I find that bastard, I'll fucking make him mute. I'll make sure he'll scream until he ran out of saliva.

"Are you okay?" I asked when I entered her hospital room. She was done in her surgery and I never sleep a wink the whole time she was in the surgery room.

The doctor advised her not to talk for at least a month after the surgery. But he assured her that she'll be able to talk again, only that her pitch would be limited.

And that's more than okay. I don't know what I'll do if I lost her voice. I'd probably damage my cords as well just so she wouldn't feel alone.

One nod and I felt relief by that. I sighed and grabbed a chair so I could sit beside her bed. She quietly observed my move, unmoving.

That was our routine. I would always visit her every day to feed her. Or when she's not hungry, she'll watch something on the laptop I gave her. Every time she watched a show she would turn to me with an expectant eye, urging me to watch with her so I ended up watching the things she watch.

And when something funny would happen, she would immediately turn to me, to see if I I was laughing.

That was cute. I never paid attention to any shows that we watched together because my attention was all on her the whole time. I would observe her expression, the way her pupils dilated when she felt fluttered from the leading man, or the way her eyes teared up when a sad scene comes, or the way she quietly laugh at a funny scene. Her expression was worth more than a movie, and I felt like watching it more and more.

I was addicted, and I don't think this is getting better.

I should stop myself before it gets worse.

"Iiwan mo si Arabelle?" Gulat na tanong ni Lumiere nang ibalita ko sa kaniyang pansamantala muna akong pupunta sa abroad.

"Only for a week. I receive a call about Cara's whereabouts, a hint that she's in the america."

I expected it. She stole half a million dollars from me and I know she's nowhere near the Philippines.

"Magpapaalam ka?"

Kumunot ang noo kong nang binalingan siya. I looked at him like he lost his mind.

"Why would I? It's not like she'll look for me." I scoffed and shook my head as I puffed a smoke on my cigar.

"Ano?" He sounds dumbfounded.

Umiling nalang ako at tumingin sa kawalan. I hate to admit it but everyone, except me, heard her voice. They were all talking about how cute and soft her voice was and the very first person who even heard her voice was that fucking Cog. Of course, I was curious, about how her voice changed, but every time I spend my time with her, she was quiet. She didn't even initiated to say a word even when I was asking her a question.

Ako ang palagi niyang kasama, ako ang nagpapakain sa kaniya, ako ang nagbabantay sa tuwing natutulog siya, pero hindi niya man lang magawang magsalita sa akin? It just show that she didn't trust me that much. No, she never trusted me. She hated me and I hate myself more than that. I failed to protect her, she must be mad that I'm the reason why she lost her voice.

I even saw her watching the same drama we watched together with Cog. She laughed differently when she's with him. With him, her laughter sounds contagious. But with me, she didn't even came close to laughing. She'd just laugh silently, or chuckle quietly, restraining her laugh, making sure I never get to hear her voice through her laughter.