6: Blasphemy

CHAPTER 6: BLASPHEMY

Connor Devonshire

My eyes remained on Vincent during all our classes. There were two reasons I was watching him. First, he's attractive. We haven't spoken about our moment in the hallway. Though that doesn't mean that we want to ignore it. It seems as if that moment was a spark that lit and has slowly been growing.

Second, I need confirmation. That's all I will say.

Election campaigns have begun to pick up. Since the student council believes they're God, they don't come down their tower to campaign for themselves. Instead, they hire other students who do the work for them.

No matter where you went, there was someone giving out snacks or gift cards with the person's face plastered on a sticker. I was in the bathroom and some guy slipped me a Parisian pastry and told me to vote.

Vinny, being the ball of sunshine he is, has found a way to see the good in it. He's been offering to take all the snacks off our hands that we don't want. We also give him our gift cards, since none of us need them. He's essentially just a trash can for the things we don't want.

I sat with Archie and Tavia at our table and were dining.

"Listen, Connor. What you told us about Vinny, especially with that whole thing during literature class, it sounds like he's a match. But I'm not yet convinced." Tavia said.

"We accepted Percy into the group with less. Vinny has shown that he's worthy!" I replied.

"That's because Percy- no offense- has more worth to him. His family is famous in several social and political circles. Vinny is a kid from a random state who was lucky in the lottery to get in." Tavia replied.

"If Vinny was rich, would you have already accepted him?" I asked.

"Yes, to be honest. I just want Vinny to prove that he is worthy. He has nothing. So where is his worth?" She asked. I turned to Archie.

"E tu, Archie? What's your stance? Yes or no?" I asked.

Archie was pondering for a moment. "Yes." He muttered.

"Show me just one more proof. Then I'll agree." Tavia said.

So far, I, Archie, and Dorian are yes. Percy is a maybe, though a recent conversation with him has swayed his opinion to yes. Tavia, a member who has always been critical, needs more proof. Which, I'll accept. I'll find more proof and show her.

The next day, Vinny and I walked through the crowded halls and made our way to the lab for marine biology. I could see up ahead a small stand set up with banners and flags around it. I saw Lawrence Whitehall standing near the stand and handing out small boxes.

When the two of us got close, Lawrence turned to us.

"Morning, Connor, Vincent!" He greeted us. He was handed two boxes from his assistant and held it out for us.