Chapter 4

Katniss pov

The next day, mom has to help with some patients, so I'm alone with Prim, that is, until I hear someone walk in its Gale. “Coin’s asked to see you in the mansion” “You never came to see me,”  I say. "Or her  “ I know”, he says “I wanted to, but” he stops and shakes his head. “What it ours”, I ask him. “ The delayed explosion, the trap to draw more people in” “Was that you”  “I don't know”, he says. “ All I know is I was supposed to take care of your family, and I'm sorry I couldn't” “You can’t protect anyone in an arena”, I mutter.  “Goodbye Gale”, I say to him. He looks hurt but leaves without another word. And just like that, my friendship with Gale is over. “Mrs. Everdeen”, the craft is here to take you to the mansion”, a soldier tells me. I turn to Prim. “I have to go little duck”, “ but I'll be back as soon as I can. I love you” “I kiss her forehead and cheek”

Gale pov,
I felt my heart shatter at Katniss's words, after she left I snuck back to Prim's room, I shutter as I take her in, patches of her skin were burnt and covered in bandages, parts of her hair were missing, a tube stuck down her throat breathing for her. I did this it was my idea my bomb, my bomb that was used on our own medics on innocent children, on Prim,the girl I've known as long as Katniss, the girl I took care of when Katniss was away in the games, the girl I watched grow up, the girl Rory's had a crush on forever, I sit down next to the chair and take her hand in my larger one. "I'm sorry," I say. "I never meant to hurt you."  I stare at her face, the only part of her body that's relatively unscathed. If she dies, I don't think I could live with myself.