Seven

Packed with all kinds of things, you followed Tyr like a puppy down the long corridor of the great hall.

Gods sat on benches all around, beings of a magical nature sat up in the beams and stared down at everything. It was noisy, both because of aggression and from partying.

Usually Tyr preferred to avoid most of the gods. But on this day he had to go to a place that could only be reached through the great hall.

That's all he told you. And that's all you needed to know. You knew he was not a man for danger. He wouldn't want to harm either of you. Especially not those he cared about.

Yet you knew that Odin's palace was no place for you. It was like living in the house of an enemy. And every single god in those halls was loyal to the All-Father. At least, almost every one.

Your gaze broke from the drinking men and women and wandered to Tyr. His step was as light as if he were walking on clouds. Sometimes it looked like he didn't even touch the ground. Despite his size, he managed to move silently. So silently that even his brother Thor was surprised when he suddenly stood next to him.

With displeasure in his eyes, the ginger turned his head. He had spoken to a woman, blond and as beautiful as spring. You recognised her as his new bride, Sif, the goddess of the harvest.

As usual, you stayed behind Tyr in his shadow. You only wanted to be noticed when the one opposite wanted it.

"Tyr.", Thor sounded sobering, not aggressive but not excited about his brother's presence either. "Finally made it out of your cave?"

Glancing at his brothers' wife, Tyr nodded respectfully to her.

"Greetings, sister-in-law.", Tyr was a man of manners and courtesy, but he was not particularly cordial.

At least not if one couldn't win him over.

A gentle smile appeared on the woman's lips. Her beauty was only surpassed by the motherly gentleness she radiated.

At the sight of her, you suddenly felt so safe. It almost made you forget that this realm wasn't welcoming to your people.

"It has been long, lord Tyr.", Sif said and offered him a hand.

Judging by the way she held it out she expected a polite kiss onto the back. But Tyr wasn't a knight in shining armour nor a gentleman. He shook it instead. Like a man's.

"I fear I wasn't very present since the wedding.", he replied and crossed his arms behind his back. "But I assume my... dear brother had already warned you about my lack of family interaction."

Sif chuckled.

Thor simply let out a low groan. He seemed to be displeased by the presence of the god of war but refused to make a fuss in front of his new wife. She hadn't had a chance to see his true colours yet.

You knew that the relationship between the two brothers was crumpling ever since Thor had kneeled to Odin's will and turned all of Jötunheim upside down.

Tyr had been considered a friend of the giants. You yourself had never met him before Helheim but he had been well respected and cherished by your people. So respected that they had gifted him a new pair of eyes to travel between realms.

An uncomfortable atmosphere grew between the two brothers, who simply stared at each other with different kinds of emotions.

The beating of your heart was all the way up in your throat. It felt like a fight was about to break loose. Out of reflex, you reached up to grab two of Tyr's long fingers and gave them a gentle squeeze to tell him that you felt the need to go.

He returned the gesture and made his fingers move as well as if he wanted to grab your hand as best as it was possible without making it too obvious.

"I am pleased to see that your marriage is succeeding.", Tyr gestured with a nod at Sif's stomach that was swollen underneath her blue satin dress. "But as much as I want to celebrate with you, I must go now."

Sif smiled.

"When it's a boy, will you do us the honour and be his godfather?", she asked, audibly sincere to include a brother in her growing family.

"It's going to be a girl.", Thor hummed. "I can feel it in Mjölnir."

"You don't know more than a mother.", his wife argued.

"Why don't you ask Tyr?", the god of Thunder snarled in a sarcastic yet mocking manner. "Since he knows it all. God of brains."

A shadow of frustration crossed Tyr's face. But he did not give in to his brothers teasing.

Instead of an offering of peace, Thor seemed to take it as an offence. It visibly annoyed him that his brother acted all high and mighty.

Truth, however, looked different.

But who could have controlled how one took another's words and actions?

In the end everyone took things how they wanted, not how they were meant to be.

Sif was about to say something but her lips closed again. Instead, she turned to her brother-in-law. A curious sparkle shimmered in her eyes.

"Say, lord Tyr, my husband and I cannot settle on a name for a girl.", she said. "We argued long enough about a boys name. As the god of justice and honour, be kind and save us the time."

A bit cautious, Tyr's gaze wandered to his brother.

You expect him to complain.

Surprisingly, the god of thunder nodded his head in agreement.

"Very well...", the god of war let his golden eyes rest on Sif's swollen body for a moment. "She shall be called Thrúd. A goddess of war she will be. The sky will be hers, and in honour of her father she will rule thunder and storm."

Another polite nod of his head and he wanted to slip away. You followed his every step, your head pulled in, in fear that Thor might be able to see past your human disguise and tell that you were of giant blood.

But the two of you did not make it far.

All of a sudden two boys jumped from the shadows.

"Uncle Tyr!", a blond boy threw himself at one of Tyr's long legs.

"Arrrgg!", another boy chased at you.