Forty-Two

The used air burned in your lungs as you made your way up to the cave.

Your legs felt were all shaky, as if they were close to breaking. Or at least the bones wanted to snap.

Despite the bandages that you were covered in, the shredded giant skin still felt like it was about to make your true form fall apart.

You felt weak yet so strong in that moment. There was no turning back. Stopping was no option.

It was either run or die.

You did not want to die. Yet again, you weren't sure if Tyr would make it. Obviously, he was the god of war himself. Battles listened to his call.

But the god he faced was the very king, the Allfather himself. Titles like such weren't given easily. As much as you despised Odin, he must have done many great miracles in order to earn a name like this.

Or perhaps he had taken it for himself from someone who had been worthy of it in his stead.

No matter what the truth was, you did not want to become just another of many lines in the story book of the Allfathers cruelty.

Ideally, you would become a traitor who kidnapped the god of war into a world beyond the nine realms.

"Forever...", you whispered to yourself. "Never more..."

As you took a hasty step, water and slick greenery below your soles, you slipped on one of the stones. Struggling, you grabbed another rock that was close by. As you did so, it cut into your hand and drew blood.

But this time it did not bleed red, like human. It was golden, golden like giants.

Your knee hit a hard surface. It felt like the bone shattered yet again, maybe it was just the curse.

It was kind of ironic, you've met Tyr for the first time because he had followed the trail of blood from a cut in your hand. And now this very same hand was once more covered in blood.

Golden blood.

It confused yet made your heart beat faster with joy. It had been so long ever since you've bled like your people. Somehow it made you feel like you had regained a piece of yourself after the Allfather had taken it from you.

With your teeth clenched you fought the pain down, drowned it in the joy that the gold liquor from your veins caused you and grabbed one of the slimy rocks to pull yourself up on it.

Your blood ran down the uneven surface, mixed with mud and water.

Above your head the waterfall crashed into the depths. You could already hear the gushing, the sheer power of water that could have easily crushed your bones beneath itself.

Your gaze wandered up into the bright sky. This day was way too soothing, way too familiar to be of such dangerous nature.

You still remembered when Thor had arrived in Jötunheim. His only mission had been to kill. And he had done so.

Many, many kills.

It had been a day just like this one. Peaceful. Deceiving.

Suddenly, your eyes noticed a few dark silhouettes that seemed to circle the top of the mountain.

Your gaze darkened.

So Odin had not been foolish and had taken precautions. The mountain was overlooked by his ravens. Perhaps even guarded by a greater evil.

You needed to watch out.

But did it truly matter?

Now that you knew that a bit of your giant heritage was back, you dared to believe that some other part of you had also returned.

Perhaps it wouldn't be wise to put that to the test. But you couldn't help it.

A hint of a high washed over you. Confidence flooded your veins and made your eyes burn with anger.

Newly found spirit made you crawl up further. Hard rocks covered by water and greenery threatened to make you slip once more. Their sharp edges wanted to slice your skin, make your bones go weak and shatter your will.

In that very moment it felt like even the mountain was trying to work against you.

Was the influence of the Allfather that big?

Could it be possible that he had managed to pull even your own home realm on his side?

"Damn you!", it came in a hiss from your lips as you dug your nails into another stone that made you go to the ground once more.

The pain was unbearable. It was like thousands of knifes inside your flesh, needles that pierced your eyes. Even your blood made you feel like this journey was supposed to end for you at this point.

But you couldn't, wouldn't give up.

Not after all the sufferings you had to endure. Not now that you were so close to getting what you had always dreamed of.

A peace of mind.

No, it wasn't that.

Tyr.

How many moons had passed since you had fallen for him?

Many, if not all that were necessary. You needed him. And you were almost there.

Almost escaped from the clasps of fate itself. A miracle that no one this far had managed to perform.

"Just a little longer.", you whispered to yourself while your own teeth made your bottom lip crack and filled your mouth with the taste of iron. "Only a moment longer..."

The air burned inside your lungs as you finally managed to grab the edge of the mountain path. Small drops of water rained down on you.

It was cold and made your sweaty limbs grow goosebumps.

Your entire body rebelled against your will of iron. It wanted to break under the pressure. The only thing that kept it together was your mind.

The cave with the ruins was empty. At least as far as it went when it came to actual living beings.

A crowing reached your ears.

High up, just underneath the ceiling sat an entire pack of Odin's crows and looked down on you. Their pale green eyes seemed so empty yet so full of judgement and disgust.

"Are you... willing to fight me?", you asked as you forced yourself back to your feet.

Blood ran down your arms and dripped onto the flooded floor. It mixed with the blue to form a thin veil of shimmer.