Eighteen

A new day came and with it the driving urge to get up and run along the muddy path, all the way up to the mountains. You took the scroll with you, while Tyr was still trapped in the world of dreams, to sit at the edge of a cliff.

You knew the words that were written, though it was hard to put them together to form a meaning behind them. Just by themselves they weren't worth much, barely enough to convince you that they had been written by your people.

It didn't specifically say anything about travelling between realms, but what you could gather was that the one who had written all of this down knew about the world of sand.

"Egypt.", you muttered to yourself with your eyebrows drawn together and a deep shadow on your face. "God of... wisdom..? No. Kno... knowledge. God of knowledge."

Frustration tied your throat. This was significantly harder than you had expected it to be. Or perhaps, not hard, but rather complicated.

It wasn't just that you struggled to translate what was written but also to piece it together. Riddles most of the time were used to hide clues. But even riddles had passages that belonged together. These were just words, not even entire sentences.

"What a pain...", you snarled and looked up to catch a break.

Your gaze wandered along the horizon.

In the distance, the fingers of fallen giants reached up into the sky. Snow covered their tips. Time had faded the colours of their skin and instead they appeared to be mountains of stone that nature had sculpted into human-like shapes.

The first time you had seen them, the sight had pained you, but now at least you could see the beauty in them.

The sun's rays made their way through your splayed fingers and slowly crept across the land of lush green grass and colourful leaves.

At least they were one with the realm that they always wanted to be connected with deeper. Now there was no way that they could be divided no more, there was no difference between the smaller creations of Jötunheim and the giants.

Everything was one now. Everything but you. You have been left behind to mourn.

And you didn't even know why your heart started to feel heavy inside your chest again.

Was it because you wanted to be with them, dead but also together?

Or was it because you just loathed to be lonely for the rest of your long life?

"No...", with a deep breath you closed your eyes.

You weren't alone. Tyr was with you and judging by his efforts he would also be till the end of time. After many eons of running away you finally had someone to walk this path together.

Perhaps, one day, of what he said was true, you wouldn't have to run no more. But only the oracles knew how long it needed to get there.

Months?

Years?

Maybe even decades.

Either way, there was no need to dwell in self-pity.

Your eyes opened to have a look at the scrolls contents once again, but you just couldn't bring yourself to gather your thoughts.

A feeling of laziness corrupted your body. Thoughts flooded your mind and made it feel like a mess.

With an annoyed sigh, you tossed the scroll into the grass in front of you, still close enough for you to have an eye on it and let out a loud groan.

Again and again you wiped your face, in hopes that it would help. But there was no use. You were just too frustrated and upset with the grim future that seemed to wait for you ahead.

How much you hated it.

Was it truly to much to ask for a bit of peace?

"Why is the Allfather even such a petty man?", you asked with your teeth clenched.

A gush of wind danced across the green, rose to caress your cheeks in a tender manner and rough your hair a little.

As the rustle of the grass filled your ears it mixed with calm footsteps and made you almost miss that somebody approached from behind.

"He is a man for himself.", Tyr's voice suddenly answered, soft as usual, but yet strangely unfamiliar.

Surprised that he had found you so fast, you looked up to examine him for a moment. As your eyes met you couldn't help but feel a wave of heat chase through your head.

Ashamed yet flattered, you turned your gaze away and smiled.

Tyr caught this obvious hint of shyness. His head tilted to the side to look at you closer. His mouth did not move.

"May I sit with you?", he then asked.

"Why would I say no?", you returned the question and patted the spot next to you. "Your presence is always welcome to me."

He sat down and crossed his legs to let his arms rest on his knees.

"Just my presence?", he asked, his golden gaze fixed onto the fingertips of the giants in the distance.

Somehow it felt like he was distant again. It was strange, especially after the moments that the two of you had shared just one night before.

However, you did not want to make a big deal out of it. He was probably just caught up in his thoughts again, already thinking about what was needed to achieve his goal.

"You are just as welcome.", you smiled at him. "Tyr..."

Now his eyes wandered over his shoulder to look at you. For a moment he seemed very drawn to your face. Then his gaze wandered lower.

Suddenly, he froze.

Confused, you frowned, still smiling and asked a question in silence.

His hand reached out. With his expected care he grabbed your arm and raised it to his eyes. He looked at the patch of giant skin that still showed clearly between the human flesh.

"It doesn't hurt.", you said as the silence kept bugging you.

His eyes moved to your face.

"I'm sure of it.", he finally said and got up. "Come. I'll have to show you something."