Nine

With quick steps Tyr led you down some stairs, away from the light flooded halls and into the cellar where Odin forbade everyone to be.

However, he did make exceptions for his favourite sons, mainly Tyr, sometimes Heimdall if he needed him to read minds. Thor was mostly unwelcome there, though.

Ever since he had married Sif the Allfather seemed to distance himself from his former favourite. Perhaps because the goddess of harvest was on a good way to make a soft man and father out of the god of thunder.

And yet.

His name alone was enough to tie your throat with fear and make your skin crawl.

"Let me have a look.", Tyr stopped in a dark corner, where shadows swallowed the dull light of candles.

With gentle pressure he pushed you directly into the corner and positioned himself right in front. His giant body covered you entirely. If anybody would have crossed his way you would be invisible to them.

It gave you a feeling of safety to be around him, shielded by his body.

"I don't know why it happened...", you let go off your injury to show him the patch of clear non-human looking skin. "This new body has never failed once. Not even after I cut myself in Helheim."

With surprising gentleness Tyr grabbed your wrist and let two fingers run over your true form. His golden eyes wandered along the texture as if it were something he had never seen before.

To be fair, even he had never seen your true appearance. He was familiar with how giants could look like but not how you looked like.

Maybe it was something special to him. Although that seemed rather vain to think.

His touch was special to you either way. It send shivers down your spine and goosebumps across your arms. But it was hard to tell if they were pleasant or a sign of worry.

Sometimes intuition knew before the mind did.

But there was nothing you could pin down. It was probably just the aftermath of the fact that your body seemed to return to its true form.

"I've seen giants switch from their natural bodies to human ones and back.", Tyr said as he was done examining and let go to reach into one of his many pockets to pull out a string of white cotton fabric. "But I do not possess these abilities. Who am I to know how long it lasts and under what conditions."

With the utmost care he started to wrap the fabric around your arm and created a bandage.

"It would be better to treat it as if it were nothing.", you looked at the bandage that now covered almost all of your lower arm. "I'll find a reason why I got injured."

"It will buy some time but remember, this excuse will only work out temporarily."

"I am aware.", you smiled at him. "Don't worry too much about me, lord Tyr. I am wandering my enemies home. Being careful has become my essence."

A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth but it quickly faded again and was instead replaced by a shimmer of a heavy heart in his eyes.

"I wished I could have done more.", he confessed, grabbed your hand gently to bend down and breathe a kiss onto the back.

It was a polite gesture, common for your people to show respect. Sometimes it was used to apologise and if it were obvious, also to express romantic interest in someone.

The touch of his lips was warm, soft, accompanied by the scratchy sensation that his long beard caused. It looked soft but was rather rough since he kept it mostly braided and tangled.

Since you knew that Tyr wasn't interested in relationships, you took it as an apology, but shook your head.

"You have nothing to be sorry for.", you assured him.

"I did help Odin deceive your people."

"Weren't you forced to?", a sorry expression appeared on your face as you frowned. "I would never believe it if you said it was your wish to harm the giants."

His eyes left you for a moment. It almost felt like he couldn't bare look at you.

"It most certainly wasn't.", he sighed. "But if I could turn back time there would be many things I'd do differently."

Now you couldn't help but chuckle. Confused, he raised an eyebrow, however, it didn't appear that he was offended.

"Your words remind me of my father, lord Tyr.", your gaze left him to wander to the ground as the memories weighted heavy on your heart. "He always said that only the desperate wish to make things undone. Decisions are precious because they can only be made once. It gives them worth."

As you let your eyes wander across the shadows, your attention was caught by a shadow. Perhaps it was only your imagination but you believed to see it move.

Suddenly the sound of wind crossed your ears. But it was impossible since you were underground.

Quickly you glanced at Tyr, who confirmed your suspicion with a nod of his head.

"We should get going.", he said and gave you a gentle push to the shoulder.

Your feet started to move on their own, maybe a bit too quick to not seem suspicious. But you couldn't help it. Goosebumps crawled up your back and made your heart beat faster.

All of a sudden it felt like someone or rather something was watching.

"Don't fear.", Tyr whispered with bated breath as you rounded a corner. "I will not leave your side."

There wasn't a single doubt that you had about his words. And yet it wasn't enough to chase away this uncomfortable feeling that grew in the pit of your stomach.

It was like an omen.

From experience you knew that sometimes it was better to trust a gut feelings. And in that moment your gut was screaming.

"Where to?", you were surprised to notice your voice sounding a little shaken.

Tyr's breath echoed inside the emptiness of the hallways.

"To Odin's study.", he said.