Forty

Hours passed in which you did nothing but lay on the edge of the pond, bathed in sunlight, and listened to the soft song that the wind made the leaves sing.

Every now and then you found a note that reminded you of an old rhyme or a melody that your father had once hummed into your mothers ear.

Tyr listened to every single one of them, a look of happiness on his face. And when you finished he fell impatient until you found something new to sing to him.

This was a good life, a calm one without the worries that the world wished to put upon either of you. It could have been perfect for oh so long.

Until a sound made Tyr tear his eyes open.

You faltered in your rhythm, irritated yet also frightened by what it announced.

"No...", it rolled from your lips in a whisper, so fragile and frightened at the same time.

Your head moved up, just enough to catch a glimpse of the trees behind you.

There it was, dressed in the colour of death, mourning yet so alive.

A raven.

Tyr was already on his feet. With his jaw clenched he moved towards the creature that looked so deceivingly like an innocent animal.

But it wasn't. And he knew that as much as you did.

"Run.", he said, calm as to not frighten the creature.

A cold shiver crawled down your back. It tied your throat and made your legs go numb.

Irritated that you did not listen, Tyr threw a glance over his shoulder.

His eyes widened in disbelief. A breath made his chest shake.

You did not understand fast enough.

Suddenly, the touch of a cold hand reached down into your neck. It felt old and wrinkly, with nails that dug into your skin.

Immediately, tears burned in your eyes.

With a bloodthirsty scream, you punched behind you, threw your neck back and broke loose. You fell to your knees as you wanted to rush over to Tyr, too weak from the memories.

"Don't you dare!", thundered the voice of Odin.

With his spear raised, the threatened to piece your chest. But all of a sudden a shadow fell over you.

Rage burned in his eyes as Tyr caught the throw with his bare hands.

"Father!", he hissed and positioned himself above you for protection. "I will not spare you this time."

Your eyes met Tyr's. Never before had you seen him this way. So angered, enraged even, with that cold blooded look on his face.

He was about to commit the most unforgivable kinds of treason.

"I told you once that there is a choice, Tyr.", with a snip of Odin's fingers the spear disappeared from his sons hands and returned to the actual owner.

"A choice of slavery and mindless obedience.", once again Tyr's golden gaze fell onto you. "I am not willing to sacrifice this."

You jumped to your feet, only dressed in your pants and a loose shirt that almost fell off your shoulders. Your weapon, the herb bags and everything of value still lay underneath the shade of a tree.

Right next to the feet of the Allfather.

"But your family?! Your own father? For a giant.", Odin bared his teeth in displeasure.

But his son couldn't help and gift him a huff of amusement.

Or was it mockery?

"You wouldn't understand.", he said and did a gesture behind his back so that you would get moving. "You've never loved anything."

"Oh, my dear son, I did. I loved your mother. I loved Thors mother and every mother of Heimdall. And I love Freya now."

Freya. That poor woman had been wed to the Allfather as an act of peace between the Vanir and Asgard. Odin had tried his best to court her, but as soon as she had conceived his moods had changed.

Now she was just another of his trophies, destined to bear him more children so that he could go and turn it into one of his many more tools in his war against fate.

Just like Thor.

Just like Heimdall.

Just like the little Baldur.

And, if you were honest with yourself, just like Tyr as well.

Fiercely, you jumped to your feet, turned on your heel and ran off. The raven jumped from its branch, startled as you ignored it to run into the woods, unarmed.

Tyr had told you that he had spared his father. He had not managed to do it even though it was his destiny. Deep down there was still the son who wanted to see his father live.

But the madness that Odin had brought upon himself did not make that possible. Not anymore.

You and Tyr had agreed that you would separate in case that Odin could return. He was only able to hunt one of you and it would most likely be his son, since he was of more value to his cause.

You would run and hide in the cave behind the waterfall. Even though neither of you knew how to get past the door, it was still safer to wait there than out in the open.

And despite all that, the pride in your chest whispered into your ear that you would be able to lift the veil of secrets. One way or another.

Your legs burned as you jumped over a fallen tree and rushed through the forest, out of the dark and across the dried out, dusty street that led through the ruins of your former home.

Above your head flew a raven, it's eyes constantly following your every step.

As you ran, you dug and fetched a stone that was just large enough to fit into your hand and cause damage. You let it slide between your fingers for a second.

And as you skipped to the side into a house, you threw it with all your might. A spell of strength escaped your lips.

Embraced by a soft red shimmer the stone chased into the air and, by a miracle, pierced the birds chest. With the sound of shattering glass, the raven bursted into a thousand shards of green.