Chapter Nineteen

Riley

I'm not going to lie, Dayton was on my nerves. Why did he keep insisting that Grace Raine and I were making out every single time we were alone? I mean, I didn't make myself that obvious...did I? Ugh, why am I speaking my thoughts out loud? None of you guys care about what I'm thinking. Heck, half of you probably could care less about this story, and you're just bored and are reading or listening to this.

Nobody gives a shit! Just... damn story! Catching up, we need to hurry up!

Okay, fine! I just got distracted a little, Grace Raine!

Sorry about that. Grace just screamed at me for two minutes about how I should hurry up; ironic right?

Okay! I take it back! By the Angel, you didn't have to put a sword up to my neck! Overreaction much?

Alright, anyways, the night Dayton and Grace Raine were talking, I woke up when Grace Raine yelled,

"We weren't making out!"

I figured they were just having another petty argument, so I half listened as I tried falling back asleep. I can't explain how guilty I felt when Grace Raine said that we were all hiding something from her. I mean, I couldn't deny it; I'd been hiding it from her since we were ten years old, and who knows how long Magnus, Max, and Catarina knew.

When Dayton said that the reason he didn't know was probably because we didn't trust him, I didn't know what to think. Did I trust Dayton?

Raziel! You just almost cut my ear with that knife! Go target practice on the other wall, where it's okay if the knife goes in as deep as the entire blade!

I would, but you're taking your own damn time in telling your part! Nobody cares what you were thinking! Just tell what happened the next day!

Alright, Grace's getting pretty damn impatient! So, since I value my life, I guess I'll just skip twelve entire hours.

Max was the first one to wake up; I followed afterwards.

I woke up and left our room, heading to the cafeteria. As I walked through the single hallway that got me to the cafeteria, I admired the sculptures and paintings of Raziel. Magnificent golden statues that stretched from floor to ceiling of Raziel guarded the doors to the cafeteria, their Maellartach swords crossed at the arch of the doors.

Max waved at me from the opposite side of the giant room. I waved back and grabbed a muffin before walking over towards him.

"I see you're still one for waking up early," he yawned as he sipped his coffee.

"I see you're still against mornings," I replied as I bit into my muffin.

"What's on your mind?"

"What d'ya mean?" I asked as I fidgeted my fingers.

"You only snap back when you're pissed or when something's troubling you."

"Do you trust Dayton?" I blurted.

Max raised his eyebrows. "'Course. He's been around my pack for years. He practically grew up with my pack. Why?"

"I may or may not have eavesdropped on Grace Raine and Dayton's conversation when we were all sleeping." I scratched my head.

"Really? I didn't think you were the eavesdropping type."

"What about eavesdropping?" Magnus asked as he sat down next to me with a plate piled high with food.

"Riley eavesdropped on Grace and Dayton's conversation that they had while we were all asleep."

"Really?" Magnus cocked an eyebrow.