Chapter Sixteen: The Fete (part 2)

POV: Maya

Surely this can't be happening.

Sofia and Malik have just met.

In fact, when he first arrived, they didn't even speak to each other. Meaning their literal first conversation just happened.

And yet, they're supposed to be getting married?

What kind of fucked up arranged marriage mafia shit is this?

I look to Henry, but he only nods in confirmation.

Shit.

This is real, then.

I should have known the Vitales wouldn't let Henry off the hook so easily. But I didn't realize Sofia would pay the price.

This isn't right.

Plus, Malik doesn't exactly look thrilled at the new announcement. He might have agreed to this, but there's no telling why. Clearly it isn't out of love. Or even infatuation, given the way he's avoiding looking at Sofia right now.

"Great. You two have met. Now come on," Enzo jerks his chin in the direction of the exit, "We have details to discuss. In private."

Malik's smile doesn't falter, but I don't miss the flicker of irritation in his dark eyes.

He's older than Enzo, not to mention more experienced, but since Enzo's here as his father's representative it seems he's hesitant to point that out.

Especially with his engagement to Sofia so recently announced.

"Right."

He and Enzo take their leave, off to discuss the details of their deal.

Either that, or what wedding cake flavor is best served for an arranged-marriage.

"I'll be in touch," Noah says.

Henry nods in acknowledgement. "I'll let you know when your membership is approved."

They shake hands, and Noah starts down the hallway. His eyes flicker towards Charlotte as he passes her, but she looks away.

"Didn't you come here with him?" I ask.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean we're leaving together," she protests.

Usually, I'd expect Sofia to laugh at this, or have some quick-witted and equally snarky comment about Charlotte and Noah getting together, but she stays mournfully silent.

Henry clears his throat, drawing my attention. "I need to speak with Aleksander. We have...unfinished business to discuss."

"Actually," I hesitate, then look over at Sofia, who still hasn't moved. "Can you come get me after you're finished?"

Henry's eyes narrow a fraction of an inch, but he nods.

"Thanks," I force a smile. "Be careful."

"Alek only looks scary," Gertrude protests, "Trust me, Wallace will be fine."

Henry gives her a wry smile, but doesn't argue.

Instead, he gives me a quick kiss goodbye, then heads off down the hall.

I could have taken the easy way out and left with him, but I don't feel right leaving Sofia and the others after what just occurred.

She's clearly not happy, so why is she going along with this?

To my left, Charlotte clears her throat.

When I look at her, she tilts her head in Sofia's direction, then widens her eyes as if to say, "What should we do?"