Chapter Twelve: The Parlay (Part 1)

POV: Maya

I call Charlotte the second Henry is out the door.

He said he'd take care of the situation, but that's exactly what worries me. I doubt the two guns he brought with him are just for looks. Whatever he's set out to do, it can't be good.

Someone will end up dead.

Besides, the look on his face when he told me about Trevor's wife was bad enough. Scary, even. It might just be a mask, but it's one honed by years of violence and survival. He's a Mob Boss, after all.

But that doesn't mean he should go looking for trouble. Especially not because of me.

Which means, I need to stop Charlotte from seeing Mr. Bianchi again. And I need to do it before Henry does something drastic.

She doesn't answer on the first call.

Or the second.

But on the third, she finally picks up.

"Wha—hic—up?"

Her panicked tone stops me from launching into my speech.

"Charlotte? Are you...crying?"

An obvious sob comes from the other side of the phone.

"NooOooo," she says, voice wavering.

My panic intensifies. A moment ago she sounded fine. Worried, maybe, but not like this. Maybe my words got through to her after all.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"No, no," she sniffles, "I'm fine, okay? I'm fine."

"You don't sound fine," I counter.

There's an awkward pause, in which I'm pretty sure I can hear her blowing her nose.

"I'm sorry," she whispers.

"You're...wait, what?" A shiver of surprise runs down my spine.

Why is she apologizing?

"I'm sorry," she repeats, "I shouldn't have hung up on you. I'm sorry."

"Char, you don't have to apologize. It's my fault you're in this situation. I should have told you about Bianchi after the banquet. I didn't know he would approach you."

"But," she stifles a sob, "But I'm meeting him today, Maya. He's taking me out to lunch to finalize the paperwork."

No.

No. No. No.

"Please, Char. I know how much the job meant to you, but you have to believe me. He's dangerous."

"I believe you."

"He drugged me with something at the banquet. I know he seems nice, but he's not safe."

"Maya. I believe you."

"And—wait, what?"

My prepared speech falls flat.

"I. Believe. You." She repeats.

"You...believe me?"

"Yes."

Relief floods my chest.

She believes me. She'll be safe, and Henry won't have to resort to anything drastic. At least for the time being.

"Oh."

"I do," she continues. "But I still have to take the job."

My short-lived relief dies instantly.